VMware accelerates digital transformation through a software-defined approach to business and IT. The trusted platform provider of choice for more than 500,000 customers globally, VMware is the pioneer in virtualization and an innovator in cloud and business mobility. A proven leader, VMware allows customers to run, manage, connect and secure applications across clouds and devices in a common operating environment.
Our team of 30,000+ people working in 60+ countries worldwide is committed to building a community where great people want to work long term by living our values of passion, innovation, execution, teamwork, active learning and giving back. If you are ready to accelerate, innovate and lead, join us as we challenge constraints and problem solve for tomorrow today.
About the Legal Team
Fearless legal innovators. Thats the mantra of VMwares Legal Team. Were dedicated legal, compliance, and government relations professionals who share a passion and enthusiasm to navigate every aspect of VMwares fast-growing business. We focus on leading with strategic solutions, inspiring an ethical culture, and driving VMwares success. We also reach out to the community by donating hundreds of hours of pro bono support.
Come Work with the VMware Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance Team
The Legal Departments Litigation, Employment, Cybersecurity & Regulatory Compliance (LECRC) Team is seeking a Senior Associate Litigation Counsel or Litigation Counsel (level to be based on experience) to join this global, high-caliber organization. The LECRC Team is a global team that focuses on identifying and managing risks and threats, providing practical legal guidance to our clients, and defending the Company against claims anywhere across the globe. Our team practices a collaborative, creative, practical, and results-oriented approach to providing legal advice and managing disputes. If you are looking to join an energetic team where you can be a team builder and a standout colleague, then you have found the place.
VMware has an opening for a Senior Associate Litigation Counsel or Litigation Counsel (level to be based on experience). This position will report into VMwares Senior Litigation Counsel. A qualified candidate for this position will excel in four areas: (a) as a strong individual contributor on litigation and dispute resolution; (b) as an organized and detail-oriented litigator and practical thinker; (c) as an outside counsel manager; and (d) as a driver of good business process and ethical practices within VMware. The candidate for this position can be based in Palo Alto, Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, or Austin.
Job Role and Responsibility
- Oversee and support all aspects of assigned litigation matters, subpoenas, and other disputes, including pre-litigation counseling, fact investigation, discovery, motions practice, and dispute resolution in numerous jurisdictions globally
- Collaborate closely with internal teams and outside counsel on matter strategy and other key decisions throughout the litigation process
- Provide practical and strategic advice and counseling to internal clients to help resolve disputes while balancing risk and business objectives
- Build and maintain a positive relationship with internal clients
- Provide guidance to and work closely with the eDiscovery Team on eDiscovery issues
- Collaborate with internal team members and outside counsel to efficiently manage disputes and all aspects of outside counsel relationships, including staffing, litigation strategy, discovery, briefing, and budgets
- Develop and implement initiatives for reducing outside counsel spend
- Operate effectively and cost-efficiently, remaining mindful of budgets
- JD from an accredited law school, strong academic record, and bar admission are required
- 5+ years of experience with litigation required; trial team experience required; commercial or securities litigation experience preferred
- Effective at working with others in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to multi-task and manage a large volume of concurrent projects
- Extremely well organized and detail-oriented
- Positive, personable, strong interpersonal skills, and a can-do attitude
- Ability to interface effectively within all levels of the organization and to gain the trust and confidence of colleagues, business leaders, and executives
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to think strategically and to give practical legal advice in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty
- Proficient at reducing large amounts of information to a critical few important themes/issues and clearly communicating these to senior management
- Excellent legal and business judgment, high standards, and impeccable integrity and ethics
- Creative, entrepreneurial, and pragmatic
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. VMware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law. ?