FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural technologies. FMC provides innovative and cost-effective solutions to enhance crop yield and quality by controlling a broad spectrum of insects, weeds and disease, as well as in non-agricultural markets for pest control. FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC. With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster The Right Chemistry in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
FMC seeks an Intellectual Property Counsel to join its Philadelphia based legal team to work in a fast-paced environment on matters of consequence to FMC. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in pragmatic, strategic, business-astute counseling on patents, trade secrets and trademarks, as well as related contract matters. The candidate should have excellent drafting, communication, and negotiation skills.
This vital role provides an ideal professional environment for a confident, proactive, commercially-minded lawyer with high levels of autonomy balanced with organization and team needs, and an ability to manage challenging, significant matters.
- Work with R&D and business personnel to lead management of patent, trademark and trade secret matters for a significant segment of FMCs growing Agricultural Solutions business;
- Guide drafting and prosecution of international patent applications to obtain commercially significant patent protection for technology developed in the responsible R&D segment;
- Provide freedom-to-operate opinions and guidance, based on legal, business and technical considerations;
- Work with R&D personnel to monitor, investigate and challenge third-party patent developments;
- Develop relationships with R&D personnel to foster a culture of invention disclosure, patent development and protection;
- Provide strategic patent and trade secret advice to R&D and business personnel;
- Prepare and counsel R&D and business personnel on Intellectual Property provisions and agreements including confidentiality, material transfer, research, licensing and joint development agreements;
- Assist in enforcement of patent, trademark and trade secret rights, as well as other IP disputes with third parties;
- Guide outside counsel;
- Set and manage IP budgets in responsible R&D segment;
- Managing IP paralegal team responsible for patent and trademark docketing, and national and foreign filings
- Actively support trademark strategy in responsible business segment, including trademark acquisition, clearance, maintenance and enforcement.
- Law degree from an accredited US Law school
- Strong academic credentials, a state bar admission, and admission to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office;
- A degree, preferably advanced, in a chemistry- or biology-related discipline;
- Minimum of 10+ years relevant legal experience, comprised of law firm or in-house counsel experience, preferably both;
- Demonstrated experience in managing and fostering a team, preferably an IP paralegal team and their work flow related to patents and trademarks;
- A proven track record of serving as a trusted Intellectual Property business advisor, preferably in international settings;
- Substantial, substantive experience drafting and prosecuting US and international patent applications, having drafted, filed and prosecuted to allowance a substantial number of international patent applications;
- Significant involvement enforcing IP rights;
- Experience evaluating desired trademarks for use and registration;
- The ability to spend at least one day per week at the FMC R&D site in Newark, Delaware;
- The ability to travel as necessary, which may be approximately 10-15% of the time;
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal, to effectively address and influence all levels of the organization, including the ability to effectively communicate how an issue impacts the Company from both a business and legal perspective;
- Demonstrated success contributing to a culture of constant improvement;
- A focus on client needs with a commitment to timing, quality and client service;
- A problem solver who moves resolution to a positive outcome for legal, R&D and business concerns;
- A practical, roll-up-the-shirt-sleeves, hands-on approach to the practice of law;
- A business partner, who likes working side-by-side with R&D and business people, is receptive to opposing views and can accept and implement the ultimate decision;
- The ability to work well both independently and as part of a highly collaborative, international team, in a fast-paced cross-cultural environment;
- A strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
At FMC, diversity and inclusion are in our DNA. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to creating an inclusive workplace where all employees can thrive regardless of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, color, age, religion or religious creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. FMC also supports employee participation in company employee resource groups that celebrate the diverse backgrounds of our workforce by providing communities for employees to connect with each other and raise awareness throughout FMC.
FMC complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact our Talent Acquisition department at talentacquisitionfmc.com.