Corporation (formerly PolyOne Corporation), with 2019 revenues of $2.9 billion, provides specialized and sustainable
material solutions that transform customer challenges into opportunities, bringing
new products to life for a better world. Examples include:
- Barrier technologies that
preserve the shelf-life and quality of food, beverages, medicine and other
perishable goods through high-performance materials that require less
- Light-weighting solutions that
replace heavier traditional materials like metal, glass and wood, which
can improve fuel efficiency in all modes of transportation
- Breakthrough technologies that
minimize wastewater and improve the recyclability of materials and packaging
across a spectrum of end uses
Avient employs approximately 9,100 associates
and is certified ACC Responsible Care and a founding member of the Alliance to
End Plastic Waste. For more information, visit www.avient.com
At Avient, we strive for a culture of trust
and engagement. Our associates are leading company initiatives such as Lead by
Women, HYPE and Pride to advance diversity in professional and personal
development. We also provide our associates with robust development programs
such as Avient Academy, Lean Six Sigma, and various leadership workshops to allow
for career growth in a variety of ways. With workplace flexibility, health and
wellness programs, casual dress days, flex Fridays, and paid time off for
community service, we are committed to building upon our positive momentum.
At Avient, we believe diversity of ideas and backgrounds
gives us the creativity to be successful in a rapidly changing world. In
support of this, we stress equality of opportunity for all qualified
individuals in accordance with applicable laws. Decisions on hiring, promotion,
development, compensation or advancement are based solely on a persons
qualifications, abilities, experience and performance.
The Senior Counsel oversees
all legal efforts for the Masterbatch business within the Color, Additives,
and Inks business segment of Avient, reporting to the Assistant General
Counsel. Among other duties, this role holds responsibility within the Masterbatch
business for legal matters including: commercial contracts, claims, litigation,
and sourcing and procurement for one or more regions of the Masterbatch
business. In addition, the position may collaborate with other members of the
Legal Department on other legal matters relating to confidentiality and
intellectual property, environmental law, real estate, information technology,
insurance, anti-trust, governmental contracts, global trade, regulatory and
product stewardship, corporate governance, finance and treasury, or mergers
and acquisitions. This position must have a broad range of legal and technical
expertise, and have prior experience as counsel for a large chemical or
masterbatch manufacturing organization.
- Provides full legal counsel, review support, and procedure implementation for the Masterbatch business.
- Coordinates and participates with existing legal team in one of more of the following areas: employment and labor law, environmental law, real estate, information technology, insurance, export control, regulatory and product stewardship, corporate governance, finance and treasury, and mergers and acquisitions, among others, as well as special projects as needed.
- Prepares, reviews, and negotiates contracts and agreements, including purchase and lease, supply and requirements, construction, services, environmental, confidentiality and other types of commercial agreements to ensure legal compliance and alignment with company objectives.
- Partners with the Assistant General Counsel to oversee and support designated litigation.
- Counsels and advises corporate management on various legal issues related to domestic and international entities.
- Anticipates and works to prevent legal risks threatening the company.
- Prepares and presents legal training materials to company employees in various areas of the law.
- Leads and mentors other existing members of the legal team.
Researches and analyzes the law on complex issues and summarizes analyses as necessary/requested.
Negotiates with outside parties on contractual issues and legal disputes, including settlement conferences.
Selects, retains and monitors outside counsel who represent the company.
Provides counsel to business contacts to ensure legal compliance.
Anticipates and works to prevent legal risks threatening the company.
Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and
admitted to practice law.
- 10+ years of
substantive experience as legal counsel in a corporate legal department
focusing on areas of law such as commercial, procurement, M&A, litigation,
federal, state, and local laws, in-house support, etc.
- Prior experience
in global manufacturing company specializing in the masterbatch or the chemical
- Committed to
being a legal business partner to internal clients.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate
law and procedures.
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills.
- Takes appropriate risks and makes effective
decisions in a timely manner.
- Exercises sound judgement and ability to analyze
situations and information.
and builds commitment to a clear, actionable, compelling shared vision.
- Evaluates work results for effectiveness and leads
Inspires, motivates, and effectively manages
performance; fosters commitment, team spirit and pride.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills,
as well as a working knowledge of various computer software applications.
Each position at Avient focuses on eight Core
Competencies as a Leader of Self. Additionally, management positions
focus on Leadership Competencies as a Leader of Others and/or a Leader of the
Business. These competencies are designed to drive behavior that will
ultimately help our associates excel at their current roles, while supporting
individual and career development.
The characteristics listed below are representative of the
physical and environmental demands required by an individual to successfully
perform the essential duties of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Requires standing and sitting for
prolonged periods of time, talking and listening
Must be able to walk and use hands
Typically work is in an office
environment where the noise level is low to moderate
Avient Corporation is a
drug free workplace. Avient is an equal opportunity employer. We maintain
a policy of non-discrimination in providing equal employment to all qualified
employees and candidates regardless of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic
information, protected veterans status, or other legally protected
classification in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law.