ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isnt about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONEs supporters are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. Theyre artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The General Counsel will be an integral member of the ONE team, a group of talented professionals dedicated to the common goals of ending extreme poverty and preventable disease. They champion this cause through the development of innovative and strategic initiatives to achieve ONEs mission.
The General Counsel is an in-house expert on the organizations legal matters, providing timely and effective legal support to the organizations executive leadership, board and other in-house clients. Specific areas of legal support include (but are not limited to): legal documents (e.g., contracts, grants, MOUs, etc.), international operations, corporate governance, tax law matters, operations and administration, intellectual property, lobbying restrictions, political law, employment law, compliance and governance with international organizations, across all countries in which ONE works.
Integral to the success of ONEs mission are the colleagues and various external legal supports around the world. The General Counsel is responsible for building strong, effective working relationships with all colleagues and legal experts across practice areas. Additionally, they will foster a collaborative team environment, developing the talent supervised and other colleagues working with them.
This position is full time; however, ONE may be flexible to 75 percent of full-time status. The position will report to ONEs Chief Operating Officer and is based in Washington, DC.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL
- Provide legal support to executive leadership and board of directors regarding the gamut of legal issues impacting the organization
- Provide legal support on U.S. and international legal matters regarding taxation, tax-exempt entities, IRS Form 990, corporate, contract, lobbying, and election laws
- Build and maintain contacts and relationships with all outside counsel, in the US and internationally
- Oversee property and casualty insurance, or supervise staff who do the same
- Hold position of Corporate Secretary for the ONE Campaign and ONE Action, and all foreign affiliates where necessary and appropriate
- Oversee international compliance of branch offices and independent entities
- Supervise and develop staff on the legal team, and foster an environment of collaboration
- Draft, review and negotiate all manner of legal documents including expense contracts, grant agreements, memorandums of understanding, partnership agreements, sponsorship agreements, commercial co-ventures and office leases.
- Supervise personnel who will administer legal documents.
- Provide legal support on IRS laws governing activities of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations
- Provide legal support on U.S. and international lobbying and political campaign activities
- Review website content, annual reports, Form 990, press releases, media mentions, and other public documents to ensure the accuracy of all public representations of ONEs activities as it pertains to ONEs tax-exempt statuses
- Provide staff training to in-house clients to ensure compliance with all laws, regulations, and company policies
- Guide the completion of all international charitable registrations
- Provide guidance on Lobbying Disclosure Act registration and filings and international lobbying disclosure rules (e.g., lobbying disclosure requirements in Canada)
- Work with ONEs Chief Talent Officer on employment matters requiring legal input
- Lead internal investigations as necessary
- Act as corporate secretary, ensuring ONE and its board meet its fiduciary obligations, including keeping the books and records for the organization, attending board meetings, and attending committee meetings (as necessary)
- Manage corporate governance matters, including drafting of Board Resolutions, and preparation and review of Board meeting minutes
- Administer ONEs conflict of interest policy internally and with the board of directors
- Administer ONEs whistleblower policy
General Business Risk Management
- Provide input for ONEs executives and board on legal implications of initiatives, campaigns and strategic goals
- In consultations with ONEs IT and Digital departments, coordinate the creation and maintenance of international data transfer policies and compliance procedures (e.g., GDPR)
- Develop an ongoing risk management function, including risk assessment, prioritization, mitigation, compliance monitoring, and business insurance
- Advise on intellectual property issues, including protection and use of copyrighted content, digital publishing and dissemination, data licensing, and social media policies, evaluating the adequacy of media and other insurance policies
- Review grant proposals and reports for compliance issues
- Manage external counsel, relationships, and budgets, and cultivate pro bono resources
- Assist with developing new business policies and reviewing existing ones
- Register and maintain ONEs trademarks across core markets
- Manage record and document retention policies, and train all staff on necessary compliance
- Develop and manage a legal budget
- Stay current on applicable regulatory mandates
- Supervise staff
- Undertake other duties as assigned
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- JD from an ABA-accredited law school and a license to practice law and in good standing any state or territory of the US
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in legal practice as an attorney with experience working with business contracts, tax-exempt entities, international operations, and/or corporate law; with 3 years of attorney management responsibilities
- Preferred 10+ years of experience in legal practice as an attorney, with 5 years of attorney management responsibilities
- Excellent verbal and written English communications and negotiations skills
- Excellent analytical abilities and legal research skills
- Able to travel internationally up to 10% per year
- Experience with 501(c)(3) with related 501(c)(4) non-profit organizations a plus
- Experience as an attorney in an international non-profit organization preferred
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multitask and determine priority projects/assignments
- Interest in and dedication to the mission of ONE
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment and make good and responsible decisions
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
- A strong understanding of the complexities surrounding a global organization
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and collaborative
- Ability to remain positive and constructive engaged in high pressure and stressful situations
- Solid critical and analytical thinking
- Able to handle difficult conversations with diplomacy and exercise confidentiality
- Action oriented and results focused
- Flexible and resourceful in approach
- Independent and creative problem solver
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship building skills, sound judgement, and a well-developed sense of humor strongly preferred.
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in other languages such as French or German desirable.
Travel up to 10%.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Remote work environment at the time of hire. In-office work options available and standard office work environment in the future when appropriate to accommodate.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
ONE offers competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package along with the opportunity to contribute to worldwide causes impacting those most in need.
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.