This position is located in the Architect of the Capitol, Capitol Building. Responsible for pipefitting, electrical troubleshooting, steam and chilled water systems, overhauling valves and gaskets. The ideal candidate has in-depth experience as a journeyman HVAC/Refrigeration mechanic with low and high-voltage control systems. A self-starter who possesses a team-oriented mindset, handles pressure with a positive attitude, and upholds standard safety practices.
Learn more about this agency
TOUR OF DUTY: Day Shift (6:00 am until 2:30 pm)
***Hours may change due to operational needs of Management***
***This position is designated as "Emergency/Essential" and will be required to report to work during emergencies and inclement weather conditions.***
At the Architect of the Capitol (AOC), we are proud to be ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government. Our employees are passionate about AOC's mission to serve Congress and the Supreme Court. AOC is a legislative branch agency and the recognized authority on the preservation, maintenance and construction of the world's most iconic treasures and buildings on Capitol Hill. As a global destination for thousands of visitors every day, Capitol Hill intersects history, architecture and art with the birthplace of our nation's laws.
This position is located in the Architect of the Capitol, U.S. Capitol Building, Asst. Supt. CB & CVC Ops & Main Division, Maintenance Branch, Maintenance Section, Night Unit. The selected individual will serve as an Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic and performs duties involved with installation, maintenance, and repair of systems providing a variety of air conditioning and refrigeration functions including heating, cooling, cleaning, filtering, and circulating to condition the air. The selected individual will be a self-starter who possesses a team-oriented mindset, handles pressure with a positive attitude, and upholds standard safety practices
The selected individual will be responsible for the following duties:
- Responsible for 1) the transition from pneumatic to direct digital controls; 2) greater diversity and complexity of interoperable vendor products; 3) new navigation and troubleshooting requirements for electronically controlled systems; and 4) frequent system construction modification requirements throughout the capitol complex to accommodate tenant requests and modernization.
- Installs, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs systems using mechanical compression, vapor, steam, and air cycle methods to heat, cool, humidify, clean, filter, circulate, and condition the air to levels required for a variety of facilities.
- Inspects, services, and maintains various exhaust fans, refrigeration, air conditioning equipment, electronic dust controllers, steam operated cooking equipment, and hot water generators to ensure proper operations.
- Maintains equipment such as direct or belt drive exhaust fans, water coolers, air compressors, ice cube makers, centrifugal pumps, refrigeration compressors, steam operated kitchen equipment, and fire protected kitchen exhaust fans systems. Installs refrigeration, air conditioning, steam operated kitchen equipment, and exhaust fan equipment by connecting lines, controls, compressors, evaporators and condensers, steam lines and valves, and charges system with proper refrigerants and oils.
- Operates equipment, checks system for leaks and ensures proper operations and required temperature levels. Performs repairs and completes overhaul of refrigeration and air conditioning systems including steam and chilled water lines and regulating valves. Installs or replaces pipes and ducts where conditioned areas are considerable distance from compressors.
- Troubleshoots the system, identifies defective components, determines corrective actions, and makes repairs to systems including reducing valves, steam traps, overload elements, condensers, chilled water and steam heater coils, evaporators, and chilled water pumps. Removes and replaces chilled water lines. Dismantles air conditioning and refrigeration systems components and ventilating, fans.
- Fixes leaks in the lines to standards. Checks entire systems and components for proper running cycle, motor and compressor temperature, refrigerant and oil leaks, adjustment and condition of belts, level of oil and refrigerants, cleanliness, setting, and equipment operations. Cleans and paints components as necessary.
- Locates and checks elements that control low and high side pressures, cooling unit temperatures, liquid and suction line temperatures, and mechanism running times. Uses test meters, precision measuring instruments, and test procedures to identify components and parts requiring repair or replacement.
- Identifies defective or worn parts and improper adjustments and settings. Replaces or repairs defective parts and components including discharge valves, fans, steam traps, reducing valves, belts, bearings, shafts, duct, and pipe covering.
- Fabricates new parts or reconditions old parts when new parts are not available such as shafts, holding brackets, pulleys, and pipe fittings by using lathe, grinder, and other required machine tools.
- Replaces refrigeration and air conditioning gasses to obtain required temperature levels.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- You must be able to pass a drug test.
- Your resume and question responses must demonstrate the job-related KSAs.
You must meet all eligibility and qualifications requirements by the closing date of the job announcement.
You must meet the Screen-out element for this position which will be used to determine minimum eligibility for this position. The screen-out element for this position is: Ability to do the work of an Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic without more than normal supervision.
Welcome Veterans. The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) gives veterans' preference rights in the legislative branch to certain veterans as applied by the Congressional Accountability Act. Veterans' preference is applied on this vacancy announcement. If you are a veteran and have been separated under honorable conditions, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility; SF-15, if applicable; and Department of Veterans Affairs documentation of disability, if applicable. For more information, please visit OPM vet guide
If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System. If you are exempt from registration under Selective Service Law, you must provide appropriate proof of exemption. Please visit the Selective Service System website for more information.
DRUG TESTING: The Architect of the Capitol (AOC) is a Drug Free Workplace. As part of the AOC's suitability assessment, a candidate tentatively selected for a position who is not currently an AOC employee is required to submit to screening for illegal drug use. Satisfactory completion of a drug test is a condition of employment with the Agency. A candidate must test negative prior to being eligible for appointment into a position. We will schedule, provide, and cover the cost for the drug test.
The selectee(s) under the vacancy announcement for this position is subject to a criminal record check by the U.S. Capitol Police and satisfactory adjudication to be eligible for employment at the Architect of the Capitol.
The Architect of the Capitol is an E-VERIFY Participant. E-VERIFY is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration records to confirm employment authorization in the United States. If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the DHS Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-VERIFY" electronic system. For more information on E-Verify, please visit http: www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1185221678150.shtm
The Architect of the Capitol is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, genetic information, sexual orientation, and/or disability.
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
Moving expenses are not authorized.
Relocation expenses are not authorized.
Probationary Period–A newly appointed selectee(s) is subject to the completion of a one-year trial/probationary period, regardless of whether or not a trial/probationary period has been completed previously with the Architect of the Capitol or another Federal agency.
This vacancy announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies in any of the jurisdictions of the Architect of the Capitol.
All application materials become the property of the Architect of the Capitol.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Your eligibility for consideration and qualifications for the position will be determined based upon a review of your detailed resume and your responses to job specific self-assessment questions.
Your resume will be evaluated based on evidence of your ability to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) for this position, possession of any specialized experience, and how well your background and experience relates to the self-assessment questions in the job announcement. The self-assessment questions relate to the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies:
-Equipment Assembly, Installation and Repair
Your responses to the self assessment questions serve as the basis for your initial rating. You will receive a numerical score based on your responses to these questions. Next, your responses will be evaluated by a Human Resources Specialist and/or a subject matter expert against the information provided in your resume and optional cover letter. Your resume must support your answers to the self assessment questions. Falsifying your background, education, and/or experience is cause for not hiring you or disqualification for further consideration.
Please note that a complete application is required for consideration. (Please review the "Required Documents" section of this job announcement to see what must be included in a complete application).
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The Architect of the Capitol's (AOC) job application process is designed to ensure you only provide information necessary to evaluate your qualifications and eligibility for the position vacancy.
To apply for this position, you only need to submit: a) your resume and b) answers to the online vacancy assessment questionnaire. The online questionnaire contains eligibility and screening questions and other relevant information. No additional documentation or attachments are required at the time of application.
Your resume should list your education, training and work experience including job titles, employment dates, duties and accomplishments.
Nothing further is required until it is requested by AOC's Human Capital Management Division. If additional documentation is required for the position, you will be asked to provide it during the interview or selection process. At that time, you may be asked to submit documentation to support statements made in your resume.
For example, you may be asked to provide a copy of your diploma, college transcripts, or proof of Federal employment status. If the position requires licensure or certification, you will be asked to provide proof at the time of selection.
If Veterans' preference is claimed, you will be asked to submit proof (DD-214, and, if claiming a 10-point preference, a SF-15 and the proof required by that form).
Failure to provide the required documents will end further consideration and/or result in the withdrawal of any tentative job offers.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.