Counsel, Regulatory and Compliance is responsible for:
- Providing a broad range of legal support for regulatory, compliance, and other related matters which are applicable to the property management industry, with a significant focus on companys resident billing and utilities expense management suite of services.
- Management and implementation of compliance systems and processes in conjunction with other internal compliance roles, including drafting and maintaining applicable policies and procedures.
- Ensuring that company remains in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, that company policies and procedures are being followed, and that behavior in the organization meets the companys standards of conduct.
Why you should work here:
- Tier based promotional career pathing
- Flexible and uncapped paid time off
- Work / Life balance
- Lively, fun, interactive company culture
- Work across multiple departments within Zego
What youll do here:
- Maintain current knowledge of federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations, and keeping abreast of recent and upcoming changes.
- Develop, oversee, and maintain companys legal compliance program.
- Conduct periodic compliance risk assessments and assist in developing appropriate mitigation plans.
- Provide day-to-day guidance to senior management and employees on regulatory and compliance matters.
- Assist in sales calls and sales strategy planning to provide thought leadership and regulatory insight during the sales process.
- Work with the Product team to ensure product features developed with key compliance attributes.
- Key member of the Governance, Risk, and Compliance team as lead regulatory advisor.
- Work cross-functionally to implement process improvements to ensure efficiency and regulatory compliance.
- Periodically revise the compliance program in light of changes in the needs of the organization and applicable laws and regulations.
- Develop, coordinate, and facilitate employee compliance training.
- Seek to ensure that all employees and management are knowledgeable of, and comply with, pertinent legal and regulatory standards.
- Respond to administrative and government investigations and inquiries as the principal point of contact.
- Support the completion of external audit review processes.
- Support the VP of Legal in other tasks as needed.
- Juris Doctorate and Bachelors Degree required.
- Must be licensed by a bar association in at least one US state, California license preferred but not required.
- 5+ years compliance and regulatory experience, with a focus on resident billing and utilities expense management regulations.
- Strong knowledge of laws, regulations, industry guidelines, and other requirements relevant to the property management industry. Knowledge of privacy, anti-money laundering, and payment facilitation regulations a plus.
- Prior experience working with state or municipal utility commissions/regulators desired.
- Significant experience and ability in researching and interpreting laws and regulations.
- Significant experience in developing and implementing compliance systems and processes.
- Ability to provide practical, strategic and business-oriented legal advice.
- Detail oriented with outstanding analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients at all levels of management and work within cross-functional teams to develop solutions to complex legal/business issues.
- Ability to interface directly and effectively with regulators.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple time sensitive tasks.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent subject matter and business judgment, superior leadership skills and delivery-oriented attitude.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications and presentation skills.