Millions of people across the world come to Pinterest to find new ideas every day. Its where they get inspiration, dream about new possibilities and plan for what matters most. Our mission is to help those people find their inspiration and create a life they love. As a Pinterest employee, youll be challenged to take on work that upholds this mission and pushes Pinterest forward. Youll grow as a person and leader in your field, all the while helping users make their lives better in the positive corner of the internet.
As Pinterests first dedicated Patent Counsel, youll advise the business on everything patent related, from managing and growing the patent portfolio, to negotiating patent licensing agreements, partnering with the litigation team to defend Pinterest in patent litigation, and advising on open source software issues. Youll become an expert on Pinterests products and technologies and partner with the product and engineering teams to guide how Pinterest protects its innovations.
What youll do:
- Lead all aspects of Pinterests patent program to efficiently protect Pinterests innovations
- Manage outside counsel in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications
- Build out internal processes for identifying, documenting, and protecting new innovations
- Evaluate patent acquisition and licensing opportunities to protect Pinterests business
- Partner with the litigation team to defend Pinterest against patent litigation and pre-litigation claims
- Advise engineering teams on open source licensing and compliance issues
What were looking for:
- JD, with 5+ years of experience as a registered patent agent with experience in software patents. Prior in-house experience and admission to California bar preferred, but not required
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering, or equivalent technical experience strongly preferred
- Strong U.S. patent preparation and prosecution experience
- Exceptional judgment and impeccable integrity with excellent communication skills
- Eagerness to learn with a strong desire to embrace an entrepreneurial, flexible, and collaborative working style