This is a Career Opportunities Training Agreement (COTA) Position within the Health Resources and Services Administration, Office of
Operations, Office of Acquisitions Management and Policy. The duty location for this position is Rockville, MD.
For more information about Office of Operations, visit the "Learn more about the Agency" section.
**Applicants please note: Additional selections may be made across the Department of Health and Human Services through this vacancy announcement.**
Learn more about this agency
COTA is a career development strategy used to meet organizational and staffing needs, and is designed to train and develop employees who would not otherwise qualify for an occupation.
This COTA position is only open to Current Career/Career Conditional Employees of HHS in the Competitive service; HHS Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP); and PHS Commissioned Corps Officers. PHS Commissioned Corps (CC) Officers will be referred as CC personnel and not as a candidate for conversion to a permanent federal appointment.
As a Contract Specialist – Trainee, you will receive on-the-job and/or formal training to develop analytical skills. Assignments will be
developmental and progressively more difficult, designed to improve your grasp and understanding of the methodology and performance of
Your major duties and responsibilities include:
- Awarding a variety of contracts to various business organizations that include a variety of supplies and services.
- Meeting with program officials/staff in advance of the procurement planning stage to define future needs, establish appropriate lead
- times, and give advice and recommendations on data that should be included in the procurement request.
- Preparing contractual documents and participating in the development of the summary of negotiations, including a cost summary.
- Performing contract administration duties, such as negotiating contract modifications and change orders.
- Reviewing overall contract statuses and performing daily liaison work with Government Project Officers.
- Reviewing contract files and taking necessary action to insure proper completion of assigned contracts.
NOTE: Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U. S. Citizenship is required.
- All qualification requirements and time-in-grade must be met by the closing date of this announcement. Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 to show status and time-in-grade.
- Males ages 18 through 25 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- This position has an education requirement ? transcripts are required.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Position is not in the Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment incentives are not authorized.
- Student loan repayment incentive is not authorized.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of the pre-appointment process (i.e., background investigation, verification of qualifications and job requirements, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, etc.)
- PHS Commissioned Corps applicants must submit current personnel orders.
THESE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET BY THE CLOSING DATE: 10/20/2020
Do not cut and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
You must provide unofficial transcripts as verification that you meet this education requirement by the closing date of this announcement.
Copies of diplomas are not acceptable.
To meet the education requirement for Contract Specialist, GS-1102-09, you must have completed a 4-year course of study leading to a
bachelor's degree in any field.
Have completed at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following fields: accounting, business, finance, law, contracts, purchasing,
economics, industrial management, marketing, quantitative methods, or organization and management.
Have been employed in a Federal, civilian GS-1102 position on January 1, 2000 and have been continuously employed in the Federal service
through the present date (An SF50 that verifies you meet this criteria must be submitted with your application by the closing date of this
The COTA allows for a time-limited suspension on experience requirements specified in the OPM Qualification Standards so that the trainee may receive intensive developmental assignments to prepare and qualify for the targeted series and grade. To be considered for the position, applicants must be currently employed by the HHS; be a GS-09 or above, or a wage grade equivalent; have competitive status or be serving under an excepted appointment without time limitations under Schedule A Authorities for the disabled or the Veterans Readjustment Act; demonstrate the skills necessary for development of and entrance into technical, administrative or professional careers; and have a current record of performance that is acceptable.
TO PREVIEW THE OCCUPATIONAL ASSESSMENT QUESTIONNAIRE, please click on the following link: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10921673
Current status candidates must provide an SF50 that allows HR to verify that they meet Time-in-Grade (TIG) requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Please Note: An SF50 for the current year pay adjustment is NOT acceptable for verifying TIG (ex. 2020 general increases cannot be used to verify TIG).
To allow us to verify that you meet TIG requirements, please provide any of the following SF-50s:
- Competitive or Career-ladder promotion to your highest grade (this does NOT include 120 day temporary promotions )
Regular Within Range Increase (WRI) or With In Grade (WGI) increase at your highest grade (this does not include quality step increases (QSIs).
Competitive career/career-conditional appointment to your highest grade.
SF-50 at your highest grade held, that is at least one year older than the announcement closing date of the announcement.
Not sure which SF-50 to submit? Check out our video… Go here to watch the video on the SF50s to submit in your application package .
If you qualify on the basis of education in lieu of experience, you must submit a copy of your transcripts (or a list of your courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades) to document that you have met the education. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted in the application package. Official transcripts will be required prior to your starting work.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov .
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
HHS is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be based solely on merit without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, political affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, marital or family status or other differences.
Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP): Click here
HRSA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. Telework eligibility may be discussed during the interview process.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Ensure you support your self-ratings by the information you provide in your application. We may verify or assess your qualifications at any time. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts may be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) , you must substantively exceed the basic qualifications by scoring at least an 85 on the assessment and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact either HRSA's Office of Human Resources at (301) 443-3780 or by email: askhrhrsa.gov or HRSA's Reasonable Accommodation programs at (301) 443-2538 or by email: RA-Requesthrsa.gov . You must contact the Reasonable Accommodations Program prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 7:30AM to 4:00PM EST (except Federal holidays).
Submission of a resume alone is not a complete application. To apply for this position, you must provide a complete online Application Package which includes:
1. A current Resume – For resume writing guidance, please visit USAJOBS Resources Center or view their video tutorial. Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career. To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use the USAJOBS online Resume Builde r.
If you choose to use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose, then you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
You must also ensure that the duties performed are clearly matched to each period of employment.
Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information (age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
2. A complete Assessment Questionnaire.
3. Other supporting documents to be submitted with application:
- SF-50: Federal applicants must submit an SF-50 (Notification of Personnel Action) that shows status and time-in-grade, and its full performance level. If you are an HHS employee you may obtain a copy of your SF-50 from eOPF.
- Personnel Orders: PHS Commissioned Corps Officers must submit a copy of latest personnel orders in lieu of SF-50.
- College transcripts (if the position has a positive education requirement, or you are qualifying on the basis of education).
For Résumé and Application Tips visit the USAJOBS Resource Center .
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 10/20/2020.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.