The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) is a customer service organization dedicated to providing information technology (IT) solutions and leadership to advance DOL's mission. More information on the OCIO is available on our website , LinkedIn , and Twitter accounts.
– Position is inside the bargaining unit.
– Recruitment incentives may be considered.
– Term appointment not to exceed 4 years.
Learn more about this agency
This position is responsible for planning and implementing IT projects across a range of areas, to include: cloud infrastructure and services; network development and administration; software development and implementation; requirements mapping; IT policy development; information security; systems engineering; database administration; web development; and systems administration.
Major duties for this position at the GS-13 grade level include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for all aspects of the project management lifecycle in the execution of assigned projects to include the initiating, planning, executing monitoring & controlling, and closeout process groups.
- Participates with the office director and other managers in the overall initiation and integration of project management across OCIO.
- Manages projects to the authority, goals, and constraints delegated and seeks approval as required from management, project sponsor, and stakeholders.
- Keeps all aspects of the project record for each assigned project in an accurate and up to date manner within the Department's portfolio and project management tools.
- Conducts periodic project status briefs with regard to scope, schedule, and cost.
- Supports cross-organizational boards, committees, working groups, teams or other integrated groups addressing IT Programs and projects.
- Ensures solicitations, source selection and contract administration activities comply with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and DOL policies.
- Provides IT leadership, strategy, policy, strategic business, and investment management guidance and assistance enabling Agencies to plan, budget, and implement their IT resources in a manner that balances costs, benefits, risks, and returns, while achieving the organizations' business and program goals.
- Actively promotes benefits of accessible technology, and works to improve accessibility of information and communication technology (ICT) by addressing Section 508 compliance requirements in design, acquisition, development, and maintenance life cycles and processes.
Major duties performed at the GS-14 grade level will be the same as those performed at the GS-13 grade level, only with less supervision at GS-14.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel may be required.
14 – There is no obligation to provide future promotions if you are selected. Promotions are dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, meet all the performance requirements, and supervisor's recommendation to the next grade.
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment to this position may require a background investigation.
- Requires a probationary period if the requirement has not been met.
- Must be at least 16 years old and a U.S. Citizen.
This position is being filled through Direct Hire Authority. Traditional rating and ranking of applications does NOT apply. Veteran's preference does not apply. However, we encourage veterans to apply for this position.
Reference the "Required Documents" section for additional requirements.
Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position and is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Such experience is typically gained in the IT field or through the performance of work where the primary concern is IT.
Applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level, GS-12, in the Federal Service to qualify for GS-13.
Specialized Experience to qualify for GS-13 is defined as experience:
- Executing software development life cycle methodologies, including participating or leading Agile project teams;
- Using Project Management standards to coordinate and develop project plans and supporting documentation for IT projects such as project schedules, work breakdown structures, risk management plans, security plans, change management plans, and disaster recovery plans;
- Providing support for Capital Planning and Investment control processes including cost estimation and defining resource requirements;
- Strategic planning, documentation, and compliance of architectural baseline and Enterprise Architecture strategies;
- Communicating both orally and in writing with staff and management professionals at all levels.
Applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level, GS-13, in the Federal Service to qualify for GS-14.
In addition to the experience required to qualify for GS-13, Specialized Experience to qualify for GS-14 is defined as experience:
- Leading projects using Project Management standards to coordinate and develop project plans and supporting documentation for IT projects such as project schedules, work breakdown structures, risk management plans, security plans, change management plans, and disaster recovery plans;
- Leading multiple development teams utilizing knowledge of advanced IT tools and technologies to provide technical oversight;
- Overseeing contracts and facilitating the procurement process.
There is no education substitution for this position.
THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Office of the Chief Information Officer with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location for which you applied. The intent of this announcement is to establish a standing register of qualified candidates. Applicants will be referred periodically throughout the announcement period or at management's request. Final application disposition will be completed once all positions have been filled or the announcement reaches the end of the open period stated in the announcement. The first cut-off date for receipt/referral of applications to be considered for available vacant positions was September 3, 2020. The next cut-off date will be November 1, 2020.
This vacancy announcement may be extended and cut-off dates may be updated.
DOL seeks to attract and retain a high performing and diverse workforce in which employees' differences are respected and valued to better meet the varying needs of the diverse customers we serve. DOL fosters a diverse and inclusive work environment that promotes collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all individuals are able to participate and contribute to their full potential.
Refer to these links for more information:
GENERAL INFORMATION , ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION , FORMER FEDERAL EMPLOYEES
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Evaluation Factors (Competencies)
For this position, individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the competencies listed below:
Please review evaluations details here .
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
The following documents must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on the vacancy closing date. You are not required to submit a document if it does not apply to you. Warning: If you submit a document using the same document title, the 2nd submission will OVERWRITE the 1st submission. Also, do not upload password protected documents. –
– Displaced Employee Placement Documents – Only required if requesting priority consideration under CTAP or ICTAP eligibility.
– Cover Letters are not mandatory and will not be used to verify experience, but may be submitted Applicants selected for employment who are not current DOL employees will be required to provide proof of citizenship , and the E-Verify system will be used to confirm the employment eligibility of all new hires.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.