This position is within the Office of Urban Indian Health Programs, (OUIHP) within the Indian Health Service in Rockville, Maryland. The incumbent serves as the Health System Specialist and provides oversight of Title V, Indian Health Care Improvement Act program initiative and Urban health care delivery system, budget and distribution methodologies for funds, allocation resources; and provides consultation on program analysis and development.
Learn more about this agency
- Coordinate Indian Health Improvement program operations, procedures, and management systems. Represents the organization with Indian Tribes, congressional staff, private organizations, and other federal agencies, regarding ways to improve the delivery of health care to the Urban Indian population through collaborative efforts.
- Provide oversight of policy analysis and development and support for a wide-range of health care delivery and support activities for Urban Indian Organizations (UIOs). Formulate, develop, and implement of technical administrative program policies, guidelines, and procedures to improve the various complex and inter-related health delivery program initiatives and financial management administration, and related health information technology systems.
- Develop and execute program plan and program approaches with leadership to consider grants and contracts, funding methods and techniques and changes to improve methodology and approaches national project goals and objectives in accordance with legislation. Monitor program activities related to award of grants and contracts to UIOs, and develops procedures and criteria for allocation and the distribution of Indian Health Improvement Act resources.
- Lead quality improvements initiative in relation to health care data and outcomes. Provide efforts in improvement guidance on the quality and relevance of health care data and outcomes collected from UIOs evaluation activities and partnership with the Office of Information Technology, National Patient Information Reporting System, and health delivery sources, facilities and organizations.
- Advise on health care administration impact. Participates in the Urban Indian Health Program legislative processes concerning health care administration for policy issues, implementation and improvements; and addressing modifications on current and proposed statutes in the facilitation of health care delivery standards.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
This position is being re-announced to solicit for additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not to re-apply, unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
Must pass pre-employment examination.
Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period
ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges. You may be subject to a credit check as a part of the background investigation process.
Fingerprinting, as part of the background investigation process, may be delayed due to COVID-19. All other background investigation procedures will apply. Be advised that your continued employment will require you to complete a fingerprint check within 60 days after notification of return to full operations and successfully obtaining a favorable background investigation.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: 10/16/2020
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
For GS-11: Manage planning, implementation and conception with executing health care delivery performance monitoring, analyzing policy guidance, supporting budget/funding provision, and representative oversight of grant/contract management. Review legislative impact and analysis related to health care delivery planning and objectives. Plan and execute comprehensive work assignments and budget review planning and justification processes in conjunction with Indian Health Care Improvement Act guideline and regulatory requirements with established policy and regulations.
For GS-12: Management of analytical and evaluative health care delivery policy implementation and budget formulation initiatives and oversight of funding allocation of grants/contracts management. Policy development, implementation and oversight of legislation guidance and protocols to establish health care plan and objective to identify short- and long-term program initiatives. Administer project management and provide technical guidance on health care delivery and support activities and determine partnership strategy on Indian Health Care Improvement Act and coordinate partnerships to identify, outline and provision contract and grant criteria and scope.
For GS-13: Program management experience in health care delivery initiatives, policy implementation and funding source allocation strategy with grants/contracts. Administration and evaluation of budget strategy and processes related to organization's guidelines and legislation protocols to provide health care delivery program service and standards. Establish partnerships with various organization sources for health delivery mechanisms, improvements and implementation of short- and long-term strategy planning. Provide oversight to project plan and objectives with stakeholder/groups on Indian Health Care Improvement Act in relation to health care delivery provision in contract and grant authorizations.
You must meet all qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of the announcement. Federal employees in the competitive service are also subject to the Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
When there is a positive education requirement, or you are using education to qualify as a substitution for experience, transcripts (unofficial) are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution.
Only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education may be credited. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: https: www.ed.gov/accreditation
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: https: www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave is earned.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: https: www.usphs.gov/ .
This position has promotion potential to the GS-13 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
~~~IHS – Operated Properties are tobacco free~~~
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
To determine if you are qualified for this position, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against the qualifications as defined in the qualifications section of this vacancy announcement and your responses to the assessment questions.
You will be further evaluated/rated based on the information provided in your resume (your resume must state specific duties that relate to this position) and your responses to the assessment questions to determine your competency in the following:
- Administration and Management
- Decision Making
- Organizational Awareness
- Planning and Evaluating
You will receive a numeric rating based on your responses to the assessment questionnaires. If after reviewing your resume and responses to the assessment questions, a determination is made that you have overstated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration.
The following links below provide information on how you may be eligible for various hiring authorities. If you are a Veteran, qualified CTAP and ICTAP eligible, or an individual with a disability, please refer to the following links below for additional guidance. CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a "well qualified" rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Workforce Restructuring Career Transition website at: https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ . CTAP/ICTAP documentation requirements are listed in the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
- Veterans , i.e. (VEOA, VRA, and 30% or more disabled) – https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals/
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) – https: www.ihs.gov/jobs/support-documents/
- Interagency Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) – https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/
- Schedule A Appointments for the Disabled – https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/disability-employment/hiring/
Click here to view vacancy questions: https: apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10904427 .
All documents above MUST be received by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date of, 10/16/2020, to be considered.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
High Risk (HR)
Trust determination process
Resume: You are highly encouraged to use USAJOBS Resume Builder to ensure all required information is included in your Resume. If you use your own resume, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes beginning and ending dates for paid and non-paid work experience, hours worked per week, month and year of employment for each job title listed, annual salary, and description of job duties. Include name and address of employer; supervisor name and telephone number.
Required as applicable for the purposes of specific eligibility and appointment claim(s), and position requirements:
- Indian Preference Applicants: If claiming Indian preference, applicants must provide a completed copy of the Form BIA-4432, "Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the BIA and IHS Only." Indian preference will not be given unless a properly signed and dated form is submitted with your application, including any verification by an authorized Tribal Representative or BIA Official of tribal enrollment records. For detailed instructions, see form BIA-4432. Refer to BIA-4432 link: https: www.bia.gov/sites/bia.gov/files/assets/public/raca/online_forms/pdf/IndianPref_1076-0160_Exp3-31-21.pdf . When an Indian Preference candidate possesses Veterans preference the rules regarding Veterans preference apply under ESEP and the applicant must provide documentation in order to receive preference.
- Veterans Preference:If claiming Veteran's Preference provide a copy of your DD214 Form (Member 4 copy). To claim 10-Point Veterans Preference, submit a SF-15 Application ( http: www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf ) along with the appropriate supporting documentation. For additional information regarding Veterans Preference visit: http: www.fedshirevets.gov .
- Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): If you are claiming CTAP/ICTAP, follow the instructions below: http: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf .
- Current or former Federal employee: Include your most recent SF-50 or if Reinstatement eligible include your Career SF-50.
- Noncompetitive eligibles: submit additional documents to prove your eligibility to apply to this vacancy.
- Transcripts, Degrees, Licensure, Certifications: Copies of Transcripts (Official or Unofficial), Degrees, Licenses, and/or Certifications are not required at the time of application. Applicants must list their education history including the type of degree(s) and major of study, and completion or anticipated completion (month and year) on their resume. If a position requires a certain number of credit hours in specific course work for qualification purposes, applicants must submit a transcript (official/unofficial) or provide documentation/list the relevant courses on their resume. Applicants for positions not requiring a certain number of credit hours but a degree may submit a copy of their official/unofficial transcripts or a list of courses including titles, credit hours completed and grades (needed for SAA) but they are not required. However, official transcripts are required after tentative selection and prior to issuing an official job offer. Applicants should list their license/certifications on their resume, along with the expiration date, if applicable.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.