Start Your Journey With UsMarriott International is the worlds largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Marriott International, Inc. is the world’s largest hotel company based in Bethesda, Maryland, with more than 7,000 properties and 30 brands in 130 countries and territories. Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties. Marriotts Law Department services the Company’s lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriotts internal clients.
This attorney position, which is part of the Distribution, Digital and Strategic Initiatives group, will focus on providing legal services and transactional support for the Distribution, Digital and CX disciplines within the Consumer Operations organization. This attorney will be expected to provide practical legal solutions and transactional support to help Marriott achieve its business objectives on matters involving Marriotts digital global platforms and systems, including customer-facing web and mobile reservation applications, third party distribution arrangements (e.g., Expedia, Booking.com, GDS, TMC, wholesalers), Marriott Bonvoy partnerships, credit card partnerships, and the Companys emerging Travel Marketplace that extends Marriotts business beyond lodging.
The position will report to the Vice President & Assistant General Counsel – Distribution, Digital and Strategic Initiatives.
Specific Job Duties, Responsibilities, and Expected Contributions
The Corporate Counsel will provides legal services and transactional support for the Distribution, Digital and CX disciplines within the Consumer Operations organization, including:
- Provides legal support and advice on issues relating to Marriotts consumer-facing channels and digital reservations platforms such as terms and conditions, rate display errors, and hotel information;
- Drafts and negotiates distribution agreements with Online Travel Agents (e.g.,Expedia, Booking.com), GDS providers (Sabre, Amadeus), wholesalers and TMCs; provides legal support on related contracts or agreements and subsequent issues or projects;
- Drafts and negotiates agreements with Travel Marketplace partners in a variety of categories such as ride share (Uber, Lyft), Food and Beverage, and tours and activities providers and content aggregators; provides legal support on related contracts or agreements and subsequent issues or projects;
- Provides legal support and guidance for Marriotts co-brand credit card group, including negotiating new agreements, drafting amendments to existing agreements and advising on contract questions and disputes;
- Drafts other documents as needed for the business such as Non-Disclosure Agreements, Pilot Agreements or Transactional agreements;
- Understands and resolves novel legal issues relating to strategic initiatives, Marriott channels and digital platforms as they relate to Marriotts Travel Marketplace;
- Provides advice and counsel to business customers on operational issues relating to Distribution, Digital and CX disciplines and the Travel Marketplace as these areas evolve and grow;
- Supervises outside counsel and provides feedback accordingly;
- Collaborates with colleagues within the Law Department and works effectively with internal clients and business partners;
- Coordinates tax, insurance, intellectual property, and information privacy/security issues within Marriott and collaborates across disciplines to resolve issues;
- Participates on projects or committees as needed providing legal advice and guidance;
- Understands and resolves local law issues; and
- Participates in department or division-wide initiatives and special projects on an as needed basis.
- Excellent academic record with a law degree (J.D.) from a top law school;
- Admission to the Bar of a US state;
- Minimum of 4 years legal experience, preferably transactional experience;
- Active Bar membership;
- Familiarity with legal issues associated with the digital economy;
- Highly collaborative team player
- Outstanding analytical, writing, and oral presentation skills;
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and resources with a sense of urgency and to navigate within a complex organization in a deadline-driven environment;
- Independent and creative thinker with the ability to manage, structure, negotiate, and execute complex transactions;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
- Ability to foster relationships and individual accountability across the organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proven contract drafting and negotiating skills
- Excellent conflict management skills and ability to influence without coercion;
- Ability to integrate and balance priorities, work activities, and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to facilitate the implementation of creative solutions; and
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively resolve problems.