The ARNP is accountable for specialty care of patients seen in Nephrology Outpatient Clinics.
Learn more about this agency
The ARNP functions relatively independently as guided by approved clinical protocols, privileges and functions within the scope of practice for a licensed ARNP. Ongoing collaboration with physicians, nursing staff and other health team members is essential. The ARNP is accountable for all decisions and actions in the care of assigned patients under the direct supervision of his/her Physician Preceptor. The Physician preceptor will review medical records and clinical practice of the ARNP on a monthly basis.
Role Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Duties/tasks include, but are not be limited to:
Supervision and Evaluation
Station-level practice will be consistent with Medical Center Memorandum (MCM) 11-4, "Non-physician Practitioners, Advanced Practice Nurses/Physician Assistants/Doctor of Pharmacy-Utilization, Supervision and Scope of Practice, dated March 12, 2002." Professionally, the Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner is clinically responsible to the Chief of Nephrology. These individuals collaboratively retain administrative, clinical and disciplinary responsibility for the performance evaluation, time and attendance, assuringclinical practice complies with the scope of practice, clinical protocols and privileges for this ARNP.
Work Schedule: 8am-4:30pm; Monday thru Friday
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination
Basic Required Qualifications (Per Handbook 5005) Nurse Practitioner
- U.S. Citizenship, Birth or Naturalized (appropriate documentation required)
- Master's degree from an NLN or CCNE accredited Nurse Practitioner program
- National Certification as a Nurse Practitioner
- Current, full, unrestricted license as a Registered Nurse
- State approval to practice as an NP
- At least one-year experience in a Nephrology/Medical service setting
Must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 USC 7402(d), 7407(d). Preferred Qualifications
- Minimum of at least two years of successful practice as a Nurse Practitioner providing medical care to patients
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with other disciplines
- Demonstrated excellence in written/verbal communication and time management
- Demonstrated ability to use computer systems in support of patient care delivery
- At least 3-5 years' experience with Nephrology
Required Level of Education Nurse Practitioner
MSN with Adult, Family or Nephrology NP or DNP
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Preferred Certification(s) BLS
Nephrology NP (Nurse Practitioner)
Grade Determinations: The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
· Nurse I Level I – An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
· Nurse I Level II – An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
· Nurse I Level III – An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
· Nurse II – A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
· Nurse III – Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: The position includes physical exertion such as regular and recurring walking, stooping, bending, reaching and lifting of equipment and supplies, and hand-eye coordination to perform visual field evaluations. It may require frequent periods of walking throughout the facility to interface with other services, bending, stooping, lifting, and carrying. The incumbent is exposed to CRT/PC screen radiation sometimes for long periods of time. Reasonable accommodation may be considered in determining an applicant's ability to perform the duties/functions of the position.
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http: ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ . If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html .
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: Candidate's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Experience as an RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
VA Form 10-2850a – Application for Nurses and Nurse Anesthetists can be found at: http: www.va.gov/vaforms/search_action.asp?FormNo=2850&tkey=&Action=Search .
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- Professional Certification
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.