About the Position: This position is located at the Staff Judge Advocate Office of the Surface Deployment and Distribution Command at Scott Air Force Base, Illinois.
If you are currently serving in a permanent, competitive service appointment in the Federal service, and are selected for this Excepted Service position, the appointment will remove you from the competitive service while you occupy the position.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http: www.opm.gov/qualifications and http: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Applicants will be evaluated to determine if they meet the minimum qualification requirements and on extent to which their application shows possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position. KSA’s:
(1) Skill in identifying and researching highly technical and complex legal issues.
(2) Skill in providing legal, technical, and policy guidance.
(3) Ability to effectively, professionally, and ethically manage a heavy caseload of clients with complex legal needs.
Qualification Requirements: Applicants must meet the following minimum qualification requirements:
1) Education: Assignments require the first professional law degree (Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctorate (J.D.)). Applicants for initial appointment into attorney positions must be graduates of law schools accredited by the American Bar Association at the time of the applicant’s graduation. The Army General Counsel may make an exception upon a showing that a candidate possesses superior qualifications and that no well-qualified candidates from accredited law schools are available.
2) Bar Membership: Applicants must be active members in good standing (as defined by the pertinent bar) of the bar of a State, territory, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
3) Professional Legal Experience
GS-13: Applicants must possess more than 2 years of professional legal experience after admission to the bar commensurate with the duties of the position. The Attorney Qualifying Authority may grant an exception to this requirement when an applicant possess special qualifications.
4) Time in Grade (current Federal employees): Candidates selected for advancement will normally have completed at least one year of service that is one grade lower than the position to be filled. The selecting official may request a waiver of the one year requirement in cases where hardship or inequity