This position is located in the Department of Homeland Security, United States Coast Guard, Assistant Commandant for Resources, National Pollution Funds Center (NPFC), CERCLA Branch, Washington, DC.
Learn more about this agency
You will be responsible for assisting with the organization with the development, review, analysis, standardization and evaluation of managerial policies and procedures related to programs and systems within the Financial Management Division of the National Pollution Funds Center (NPFC).
Being a Coast Guard (CG) civilian makes you a valuable member of the CG team. Typical work assignments include:
- Assisting with the development, maintenance and monitoring of major/complex programs/systems or subsystems related to the mission.
- Developing and implementing recommendations to resolve all uncovered problems affecting the effectiveness and/or efficiency operations.
- Initiating/conducting special studies to develop or validate new management concepts and operational improvements.
- Providing membership to working groups and committee.
- Conducting reviews, resolving problems, and coordinating maintenance activities..
Occasional travel – Some travel may be required.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- This position requires a National Agency Check with Inquiries (NACI).
- A one (1) year probationary period maybe required.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. This includes Time-In-Grade requirements for current status employees applying through merit promotion procedures. Status applicants applying for a promotion must have 52 weeks of service at the next lower grade.
At the GS-11 – Applicants must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS 09 or equivalent) in the Federal service. Specialized experience includes: reviewing and reconciling billing reports; locating and updating information in relational databases and applications; negotiating support agreements; performing budget execution related to federal intra/inter agency agreements; executing and managing audits and internal controls, and building spreadsheets, sorting and filtering data and creating tables reports and charts.
OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree o r 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related
OR a combination of education and experience.
National Service Experience (i.e., volunteer experience): Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule, C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
This position does not have a positive education requirement. If you are including education on your resume, report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. See Required Documents section for detail.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications click here
Applicants will be required to complete questions contained on the Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306) at the time a tentative job offer is made. Certain responses on the form could pose a problem with suitability for employment determinations. If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete/make updates to the OF-306 and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, or imprisonment.
DHS uses e-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about e-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities at click here
Recruitment incentives may be authorized.
If selection is made below the full performance level, the incumbent may be promoted up to the target grade without further competition, if all legal and regulatory requirements are met and when recommended by the supervisor. However, promotion to the full performance level is not guaranteed and is dependent on successful performance at the lower grade level(s).
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit.
For Veterans' preference eligibility, visit Veterans' Employment Resources . Veterans , Peace Corps / VISTA volunteers , and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. See the required documents section of the announcement.
More than 1 selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 45 days from the date the certificate was issued.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for the application and hiring process, please contact 202-795-6255. Decisions on granting reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. Visit Reasonable Accommodation
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, your experience, education and training will be rated using the on-line self assessment questions that are based on the following competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job:
Your resume and responses to the self-assessment questions are an integral part of the process for determining your qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must support your responses to the self-assessment questions by providing examples of past and present experience in your resume.
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview.
Consideration will be given to performance appraisals and incentive awards as an indicator of quality of prior experience; no points will be assigned.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
1. Your resume
2. Your responses to the online questionnaire
3. Current or former federal employees, submit a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notice of Personnel Action, that demonstrates your eligibility for consideration, e.g., length of time you have been in your current/highest grade. Examples of appropriate SF-50s include promotions, with-in grade increases. Performance award are not acceptable.
4. If you are qualifying based on education, submit a legible copy of your unofficial college transcript from an accredited college/university. The transcript must reflect the college/university name and/or logo. Applicants are highly encouraged to proactively order a copy of their official transcripts to be delivered to their home address so transcripts will be readily available if selected. If selected, official transcripts are required prior to establishing your start date. Foreign education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet education requirements if you can show that it is comparable to education received in U.S. accredited institutions. Provide proof with your application. Please see click here.
5. If you are claiming special priority selection rights under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), you must submit a copy of your agency notice, most recent performance rating and most recent SF-50, noting your current position, grade level and duty location. If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. To be considered eligible, you must be placed in the well-qualified category for this position. Please see ICTAP eligibility.
6. If you are claiming veterans' preference, submit the following documents. Please see Feds Hire Vets for detail.
a. Veterans claiming 5 point veterans' preference must submit legible Member 4 Copy DD214(s) indicating Character of Service. 5-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted.
b. 30% Disabled Veterans must submit their Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and VA Disability Letter with percentage of disability OR documentation of disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces which reflects a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
c. Other 10 point Preference Eligibles must submit applicable Member Copy 4 DD-214(s), which includes Character of Service, and provide documentation of your other 10 point preference. If claiming 10 point preference, you must provide required documentation described on the back of the SF-15 . 10-point preference will not be granted if appropriate documentation is not submitted with your application.
d. If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD214 and is claiming preference under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date, character of service, military rank, type of discharge and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by, or by direction of military members' military personnel offices, unit commanders or higher headquarters.
7. If you are requesting consideration under Executive Order 13473 , you must submit proof of eligibility. At a minimum to confirm eligibility for purposes of appointment based on relocation under these provisions a spouse of a service member must provide a copy of the marriage certificate or other documentation verifying marriage and a copy of the military PCS orders assigning the service member to a certain post. The PCS orders must state the member's spouse was authorized on the military orders. Proof of eligibility based on disability and deaths resulting from active duty service is outlined here.
8. OPM must authorize employment offers for former or current Political Appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C or Non-Career SES employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information. Submit proof of your former or current status, such as your SF-50. Please see here.
All documentation as outlined above must be received by the closing date of the announcement. If you are unable to submit your documents electronically, you may fax or mail the documents. A fax cover sheet will be provided to you from the system with fax number and instructions. Required documents will also be accepted by mail and must be received by the closing date of the announcement. The mailing address is COMMANDANT (CG-123HQ), ATTN OFFICE OF CIVILIAN HUMAN RESOURCES (JOBS), US COAST GUARD, 2703 MARTIN LUTHER KING JR AVE SE STOP 7912, WASHINGTON, DC 20593-7912.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.