This position is responsible for collecting and accounting for fees, interacting with visitors and disseminating information.
This is an indefinite, Excepted Service appointment that may continue if you continue to meet the eligibility requirements under the Pathways Internship program and funding is available.
Interns may be eligible for non-competitive conversion to permanent employment .
Learn more about this agency
Responsible for collecting appropriate fees at park entrance station, visitor center, campground, iron rangers, automated fee machines and/or other visitor contact stations following established accountability guidelines for handling government funds.
Operates computer or point of sales system, performs opening and closing shift functions, issues entrance receipts, tour tickets, park passes and federal recreation passports in accordance with established guidelines, and verifies entrance receipts and various passes for validity dates. Processes refunds or upgrades as needed according to established guidelines.
Incumbent completes shift reports to verify money collected, accountable stock sold and all machine transactions from the shift, using journal and receipt tapes, end of shift reports and a register of voided transactions. Safeguards and secures funds collected and personal accountable stock.
Incumbent prepares remittance reports and bank deposits for funds collected but may not prepare these reports for any shift for which they collect fees. Maintains necessary accountability records.
Troubleshoots accounting problems by correcting difficult errors that are unsolvable by others which may involve correction of related reports
May perform campground duties such as collecting fees, monitoring campground self-registration collection activities, checking on site availability, activities related to managing campgrounds using national recreation reservation service and conducting compliance checks of campground users to ensure proper payment of fees. Performing minor maintenance of employee and visitor areas.
Incumbent provides public orientation and explanations of current park events, resource management projects, management policies and legislative updates on issues affecting the natural, historical and/or cultural preservation of the area.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- Pathways participant agreement is required.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver's license.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- This position has a mixed work schedule based on the varying workload, and your work schedule is subject to change from part-time to full-time to on-call as workload dictates.
- The entire period served under the Intern Program counts as a trial period.
- Applicants must be at least (1)18 years old or (2) at least 16 years old and: (a) Have graduated from high school or been awarded a certificate equivalent to graduating from high school; or (b) Have completed a formal vocational training program; or (c) Have received a statement from school authorities agreeing with their preference for employment rather than continuing their education; or (d) Be currently enrolled in a secondary school and either work only during school vacation periods or work part-time during the school year under a formal student employment program.
All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement-10/27/2020-unless otherwise stated in this vacancy announcement.
EXPERIENCE: At least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-04 grade level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). This experience includes activities such as: collecting fees at a park entrance station, visitor center, campground, etc. Operating an electronic cash register, computer or Point of Sales system; performing opening and closing shift functions; issuing tickets, passes etc.; providing information to visitors and public; and similar work. You must include hours per week worked.
EDUCATION: Successful completion of at least 4 academic years of post-high school study leading to a bachelor's or equivalent degree. You must include transcripts.
Have an equivalent combination of education and experience. only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience.
Credit will be given for all appropriate qualifying experience. To receive credit for experience, your resume MUST clearly indicate the nature of the duties and responsibilities for each position, starting and ending dates of employment (month/year), and the resume must reflect full and/or part-time or total number of hours worked (i.e., work 40+ hours a week, rather than indicating full-time). If part-time, the hours must be annotated to be able to pro-rate the amount qualified specialized experience.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts from an accredited institution with your name, school name, credit hours, course level, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. Transcripts do not need to be official, but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify, you must provide official transcripts before you begin work.
You will NOT be considered under Pathways unless you provide supporting information from your school. Documentation may be provided in letter format from your academic advisor, school counselor, admission office, etc. to prove CURRENT enrollment OR it may be provided in the form of several official documents from your school such as a copy of your official transcripts and a copy of your class schedule for next semester. Copies of documents from your school website are acceptable if they contain all relevant information as listed above. Letters from advisors or other school officials must be on school letterhead. You must continue to be enrolled in for the duration of this appointment to be considered eligible for this position.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet qualification requirements, you must show that your education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
If selected, you will be required to sign a Pathways Agreement which specifies the conditions of your employment as we've indicated in this job announcement. You must continue to meet the Pathways Program requirements throughout the duration of your appointment. To verify that you do, we will require proof of your continued enrollment and good standing each semester or grading period throughout your internship. Failure to do so will result in termination of your internship and employment.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
Physical Demands: Standing for long periods of time, walking, bending, lifting of moderately heavy items and sedentary work is required. Mental stress and physical fatigue occur due to high volume of personal contacts and the responsibility of dealing with large amounts of money. Extreme physical exertion may be required while performing search and rescue, wildland fire-fighting and other emergency response duties.
Working Conditions: Work is often performed in small, outdoor structures with open windows which results in exposure to extremes of temperature, rain, snow, wind, and direct sunlight. Park areas may be geographically located in areas of high elevation, rugged terrain, or dense populations. High levels of vehicle noise and emissions may exist during heavy visitation periods. Duties may be performed alone in isolated locations.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.
Candidates will be rated and ranked using Category Rating procedures. These procedures place candidates with veteran's preference above non-preference eligibles within each category. Veterans with a service connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level or higher. Under Category Rating, candidates will be rated and ranked into one of three categories:
- Best Qualified – applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position
- Well Qualified – applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in most of the requirements of the job
- Qualified – applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors and are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Technical Competence
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required and must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 10/27/2020:
- Veterans Preference Documentation :
- If you are a Discharged, Non-Disabled Veteran, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing character of discharge (Member 4 copy), or other Documentation of Service and Separation under Honorable Conditions, as listed on the SF15 . If you don't have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives .
- If you are a veteran within 120 days of discharge, you must submit signed documentation from the Armed Forces certifying: 1) your expected release/retirement from active duty, 2) under honorable conditions, 3) your pay grade/rank/rate at time of discharge, 4) dates of active duty service, 5) any campaign or expeditionary medals received, & 6) dated within 120 days of your separation.
- If you are a Disabled Veteran, Purple Heart Recipient, or Mother or Spouse of a Disabled or Deceased Veteran , you must submit all additional proof required by the SF15 , and if applicable, a completed SF15 . You may request a copy of your Department of Veterans Affairs letter from www.ebenefits.va.gov or call 1-800-827-1000 to establish proof of disability.
Do not submit photographs with your application package. Documents with photographs may not be seen by hiring officials – you must remove your image from any badges, licenses, etc.
Do not upload Adobe portfolio documents. Adobe portfolio documents are not viewable by our agency's staffing offices.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.