BioReference Laboratories, Inc. is one of the largest laboratories in the country, providing clinical laboratory, anatomic pathology and molecular and genetic laboratory services through its laboratory facilities in New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Florida, Texas and California. At this time, it is the third largest COVID-19 testing laboratory in the country. BioReferences primary administrative offices and largest laboratory facility is in Elmwood Park, New Jersey, about 10 miles from Manhattan. BioReference has an exciting opportunity to join our team as Associate Legal Counsel. The primary responsibility of this role is to provide competent, timely legal advice and services, including a focus on data privacy and security as well as information technology.
This position will report directly to the Chief Legal Counsel, and will work collaboratively with the Chief Legal Counsel and the Senior Legal Counsel, as well as with the other members of the Legal Department and the members of the Compliance Department. The Legal and Compliance Departments work closely together with many overlaps in services and functions. The Associate Legal Counsel will be a liaison from the Legal Department to the companys IT Department and Digital Health Department with respect to government data reporting, data transfer agreements, data use agreements, information technology and other similar matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Experience, Skills and abilities
Degree from an accredited law school as well as active license to practice law in the State of New Jersey. If not licensed to practice law in the State of New Jersey, an active license to practice law in another state, and eligible to receive in house counsel licensure in the State of New Jersey.
A minimum of three years of experience in health law, ideally with substantial focus on data use, data transfer and HIPAA privacy and security issues. In house counsel experience is preferred. Experience with interactions with government agencies, such as the Office of Civil Rights, the Department of Health and Human Services, or the Office of the Inspector General is desirable.
1. A bright individual who is a quick study and grasps issues quickly.
2. Possession of good stamina and humor.
3. The maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel
The interpersonal skills to be a value add team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team.
4. Communicates clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing, with people inside and outside the company.
5. Seeks opportunities to be present and visible in the company.
6. Has knowledge of the local and national healthcare environment and advises on the appropriate strategies to achieve success BioReferences market.
7. Demonstrates innovative and creative approaches to work.
8. Establishes high expectations for continuous learning, performance improvement and sustainable growth.
9. Demonstrates good business judgment and strategic insight.
10. Operates with a high level of urgency.
11. Advances BioReferences business interests while ensuring compliance with all laws and regulations.
12. Strong analytic, research and organizational skills
13. Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including Word
14. Broad internet research skills
15. Ability to excel in fluid, dynamic environment
Active license to practice law in the State of New Jersey. If not licensed to practice law in the State of New Jersey, an active license to practice law in another state, and eligible to receive in house counsel licensure in the State of New Jersey.
Substantial amount of work will be inside an office, seated at a desk using typical office equipment such as phone and computer. Position requires use of a computer display or keyboard.
The candidate must have the ability to travel to the Elmwood Park administrative offices. Notwithstanding the foregoing, during the COVID-19 emergency declaration, the duties can be performed substantially from a home office, with travel to the Elmwood Park offices on an occasional as-needed basis.
Laptop computer, cell phone