The Office of Enforcement Operations (OEO) provides investigative & prosecutorial support, legal advice, and statutorily required review and approval in almost 40 distinct subject areas. OEO oversees the use of the most sophisticated investigative tools of the federal government, including electronic surveillance, the Federal Witness Security Program, media subpoenas, and witness immunity requests. OEO provides legal advice to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies on these programs.
Learn more about this agency
As a Program Support Specialist in OEO's Special Operations Unit (SOU), your responsibilities may include.
- Participating in strategic program planning and development and creating and updating policy and procedures in the Justice Manual and SOU's SOP manuals for all five of SOU's portfolios.
- Conducting and assisting with program assessments ensuring programmatic goals are well documented and met and performs data validation and quality control checks to ensure adherence to protocols.
- Responding to substantive calls from USAOs, federal law enforcement agencies, and agency partners by giving advice, policy and status updates for cases pending at SOU.
- Assisting with legal research and advisory review of FOIA requests submitted to SOU by the BOP and the USMS as they pertain to witnesses and cooperators administratively managed by OEO via the WitSec or S visa Program; creating reports for attorneys based on case specifications and attorney requests.
- Analyzing case statistics and preparing Annual Congressional Reports for all of SOU's portfolios.
- Preparing case summaries, including procedural histories, for review by senior leadership pertaining to problematic cases requiring front office visibility before notification to Congress.
- Creating, updating and maintaining Unit website, training materials and deskbook, and work-flow processes for all SOU portfolios.
- Managing records and information management archival duties and serving as the records management liaison.
- Generating, collecting, analyzing, and entering Unit's quarterly performance stats into dashboard.
- Representing SOU at meetings with stakeholders, preparing meeting agenda, maintaining meeting notes & attendance sheet.
Occasional travel – Occasional travel may be required.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to qualify for this position.
- You must complete the online questionnaire and additional assessment(s).
- You must undergo a pre-employment security investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required, as applicable.
- You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- You must meet status eligibility for this announcement.
- Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
- The Criminal Division participates in the Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program. E-Verify helps employers to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. For more information, visit https: www.e-verify.gov/.
To qualify for the GS-09 level you must have one of the following:
- One year of specialized experience at, or equivalent to, the GS-07 federal grade level. Examples of specialized experience include managing case files; performing research in legal and non-legal databases; generating program-specific reports; and maintaining internal databases or data collection tools; OR
- Completed two full academic years of progressively higher graduate education; masters or equivalent graduate degree from an accredited college or university; OR
- Combination of specialized experience and education.
To qualify for the GS-11 level you must have one of the following:
- One year of specialized experience at, or equivalent to, the GS-09 federal grade level. Examples of specialized experience include managing case files; performing research in legal and non-legal databases; generating program-specific reports; maintaining internal databases or data collection tools; and experience with maintaining a program or organizational website; OR
- PhD or equivalent doctoral degree or two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree; OR
- Combination of specialized experience and education.
Combination of Education and Experience – Your current education completed is credited as a percentage of the education required for the grade level and your current experience is credited as a percentage of the total experience required for the grade level. The two percentages are added and must equal 100% in order to qualify for the desired grade level.
All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, see www.ed.gov .
Time-in-Grade: Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for consideration by the closing date of this announcement.
There is no education requirement for this position.
Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement to fill vacancies that occur subsequent to this announcement.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) provides eligible displaced federal competitive service employees with selection priority over candidates from other agencies for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority over other applicants who are not employees of the Department of Justice if: 1) this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instruction in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and score 85 or better using established criteria. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority. Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation personnel action form. Additional information about ICTAP eligibility can be found at https: www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/federal-employees/career-transition/ / .
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the DOJ with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your DOJ component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility, 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement, and 3) you are found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and score 85 or better using established criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility can be found at https: www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/federal-employees/career-transition/ .
USA Hire Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be granted the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation in your online application. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Assessments and appropriate supporting documentation for Reasonable Accommodation must be received prior to starting the USA Hire Assessments. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. If you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, after notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Assessments. You must complete all assessments within 48 hours of receiving the URL to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. To determine if you need a Reasonable Accommodation, please review the Procedures for Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation for Online Assessments here: https: help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Reasonable_Accommodations_for_USA_Hire .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed on this announcement. In order to be considered for this position, you must complete all required steps in the process. In addition to the application and application questionnaire, this position requires an online assessment. The online assessment measures critical general competencies required to perform the job.
If you are basically qualified for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the online assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
You will be assessed on the following KSAs/competencies:
Performance Appraisals and Awards:
You will receive an additional point added to your final score for your most recent fully successful or higher performance rating. An additional point will also be added to your final score for any one performance award received within the past three years that relates to the position for which you are applying. Please provide only one recent award. To receive credit, you must provide a copy of your performance rating and a copy of your performance award SF-50, if applicable.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
You are strongly encouraged to convert your resume to an Adobe PDF file prior to submitting your application, especially if you are submitting using a Mac system. Resumes not pre-converted to a PDF file will undergo conversion by the system. This conversion process may cause some formatting changes to your resume, including line and page break errors. To ensure your submitted resume does not display with formatting issues, please submit your resume as a PDF. This error does not affect USAjobs resumes.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes:
- If you are a discharged, non-disabled veteran, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 showing character discharge (Member 4 Copy), or other documentation of service and separation under honorable conditions. If you do not have your DD-214, you may request it after discharge from the National Archives at http: www.archives.gov/veterans .
- If you are a veteran within 120 days of discharge, you must submit signed documentation from the Armed Forces certifying: 1) your expected release/retirement from active duty, 2) under honorable conditions, 3) your pay grade/rank/rate at time of discharge, 4) dates of active duty service, 5) any campaign or expeditionary medals received, and 6) dated within 120 days of your separation.
- If you are a disabled veteran, Purple Heart recipient, or parent or spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran, you must submit a completed SF-15 ( https: www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf ) and all additional proof required by the SF-15, as applicable, if you do not have your Department of Veterans Affairs letter establishing proof of disability, you may request it at https: www.ebenefits.va.gov or call 1-800-827-1000 .
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.