How this role makes an impact:
Zipwhip is seeking a Senior Commercial Counsel to join our growing team. We are seeking a hands-on, sharp, and experienced Senior Commercial Counsel to partner with our sales and business development teams as we grow and scale.
This position requires cross-functional support of all aspects that touch the sales cycle and requires both tactical and strategic skills. The Senior Commercial Counsel will have a broad range of responsibilities, including drafting and negotiating complex commercial deals, serving as a trusted leader to internal stakeholders, and always looking for opportunities to develop and implement scalable contracting processes to remove friction from the sales cycle while protecting the company.
The successful candidate will be a seasoned attorney who can draft, negotiate, and manage a wide variety of commercial technology transactions, license agreements, integration agreements in a fast-paced environment and possesses a willingness to dig into details and accomplish projects independently. This role requires the ability to provide pragmatic and creative solutions for issues that arise, and an attitude that is business-friendly and collaborative as our company culture values responsiveness to our internal clients needs. You must thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with interesting problems to solve while providing high quality work product that reflects attention to detail and appropriately limits risk for the company.
What youll be working on:
- Partner with our sales and business development teams to review, negotiate and draft SaaS agreements, technology integration agreements, license agreements, and other commercial agreements that establish business relationships with customers, vendors, and partners.
- Identify and review business, legal, and contractual risks.
- Develop strategies to scale legal support as the business grows.
- Provides processes and guidance to the sales organization, business units, and functions to ensure contracts satisfy corporate requirements, organizational goals, and customer needs.
- Counsels the business on privacy/data management issues relating to data flow and assure that contracts reflect the Companys operations and are compliant with privacy requirements and controls.
- Draft and update contract templates, including provisions relating to evolving privacy and data protection laws in U.S., Canada, and other jurisdictions.
- Assist with the implementation of the vendor selection, audit and management policies and procedures from the privacy compliance point of view.
- Assist with the process of responding to data subject rights requests, incident vetting, and improving the effectiveness and efficiency of our response program.
- Assist with intellectual property issues, including facilitating patent filings with the assistance of outside counsel.
- Coordinate outside counsel, including managing outside counsel legal expenses.
The skills youll need:
- A minimum of 6+ years of relevant technology transactions experience within a law firm or in-house technology legal department, with a focus on drafting and negotiating complex technology transactions, CPaaS agreements, SaaS license agreements and technology integration agreements.
- Experience developing creative solutions to navigate difficult, complex negotiations in ways that move our business forward but protect the company.
- Excellent time management skills managing multiple and/or complex projects
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Is a creative thinker who is comfortable with change and ambiguity and able to build scalable processes from the ground up.
- Flexible and adaptable in a fast paced, deadline driven work environment
- Good judgment, and high level of professional integrity and commitment to excellence.
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and licensed in good standing with a state bar.
- Substantial experience with SaaS or CPaaS at a fast-growing global company.
- Understanding of FCC regulatory framework as applied to business texting.
- Working knowledge of privacy contract issues, including experience negotiating data processing agreements.
- Has enthusiasm and intellectual curiosity for privacy and technology and the energy for a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Is capable of quickly identifying and resolving issues, including balancing legal and business risks, and communicating clear and concise legal advice.
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively build and manage relationships
- Strategic business focus as well a strong code of ethics
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excels at negotiating
- Ranked the #6 best workplace in Washington in 2019 from Seattle Business magazine and The Puget Sound Business Journal
- Consistently ranked one of Washingtons fastest-growing companies by Deloitte
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Full benefits package including parental leave, 401k, flexible remote work, generous PTO
- Health benefits including paid maternity and paternity leave, medical, vision, disability and life insurance
- Free on-site weekly yoga and meditation classes hosted by ZUM fitness, and discounted memberships to Soul Fitness and CorePower Yoga
- A brand new office on Elliott Bay with easy beachfront park access
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage
- A culture of transparency and open communication, including a catered weekly lunch meeting hosted by our CEO
- Values-based leadership and a commitment to building diversity and inclusion