At Avon, beauty is more than skin deep. We are inspired by our community of passionate women; yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The Avon Nation is all about celebrating each other and our achievements in business and in life, inviting others to join us, and committing to be a force for good.
About the Role
The Legal Counsel will provide advice, guidance and counsel to the company on corporate and commercial issues. You will also oversee the companys contract management system, coordinating with functions throughout the company, and provide support on general corporate and governance matters, including supporting the General Counsel on Board of Director and governance matters.
You will report directly to Avon’s General Counsel.
- Review the daily operations of Avon’s direct selling business model and contribute to promote efficient commercial processes
- Structure, negotiate, analyze, and draft contracts and arrangements in different areas, including strategic alliances, business development, sales, supply chain, real estate, financings, M&A, information technology, software, e-commerce, website/online, licensing, intellectual property, marketing services, and vendor engagements
- Manage outside counsel before and during litigations, including managing outside counsel costs and fees and advising certain members of the companys leadership on strategy and mitigation of risks
- Partner with other in-house counsel Team Members on other matters, including non-operations and contracts matters
- Advise on data protection and privacy laws and regulations, drawing on experience with specific industry requirements, self-regulatory codes, and best practices
- Identify business risks and requirements resulting from evolving privacy laws and regulations.
- Oversee the Compliance Program that includes training programs, and related policies and procedures for employees, agents and contractors, which complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Mentor direct reports ensuring their performance is aligned with Company goals
- 6+ years of experience in transactions and contract review, negotiation, and drafting at a nationally known law firm or as in-house counsel
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school
- Member of the New York bar
- Experience with procurement agreements for products and services including complex software, technology, purchase and leasing, professional services, and general commercial
- Experience interpreting and explaining complex contractual terms and conditions and legal principles to the business promoting agreement and resolution
- Experience coaching and completing reviews for direct reports
- At prior employers you have developed broad commercial awareness, including developing an understanding of the Company’s business, end consumers, markets, facilities, and competitors to identify trends and form appropriate advice, structures and strategies
- Eligible for benefits as of date of hire (health, dental, vision, life and other voluntary programs)
- You are immediately vested in Avons matching contributions to the 401(k) Plan. Avon matches your contributions dollar-for dollar up to 3% of your eligible pay, and $0.50 per dollar on the next 2% of your eligible pay.
- Company sponsored Life insurance, AD&D and Disability benefits with option to buy up
- Wellness incentive programs
- Commuter, Health Reimbursement (HRA) and Flexible Spending (FSA) accounts
- Family Care (back-up child and elder care) benefit Programs
- Additional voluntary benefit programs available such as group legal, critical care, accident, pet insurance and identity protection insurance.
Avon is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status or any other basis prohibited by law.