Your Essential Responsibilities:
In this position, you will:
- Advocate and coordinate support for the positions of ADF on governmental policies and legislation with a strong focus on protecting religious freedom, primarily at the state level.
- Promote and support strategies and approaches for effective advocacy.
- Conduct research on state legislative issues.
- Research, analyze, and evaluate issues related to state government action.
- Assist in the development of testimony, legislation, position papers, and reports.
- Provide legislative testimony on the legal implications of proposed state legislation.
- Travel to meet with policy groups, legislative staff, and other stakeholders to discuss policy, strategy, and how to effectively advocate to government officials and the public.
- Encourage and facilitate effective working relationships with key government and policy allies, particularly in the states.
- Speak publicly to the media and before crowds.
- Work collaboratively within the ADF team and external allies.
Other Responsibilities (Non-Essential):
- You will be asked to perform related duties or special projects as assigned.
Skills you need to succeed:
- State legislative and executive branch processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of religious freedom and constitutional issues related to the ADF mission.
- Proven legislative advocacy skills, including demonstrated advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Research, analysis, and evaluation of state governmental issues, rules, regulations, and legislation.
- Demonstrated high-level and effective interpersonal skills, including ability to establish and maintain effective broad-range working relationships, and proven ability to work independently and collaboratively on internal and external teams.
- Willingness to work in a frenetic and fluid legislative/political environment.
- Flexibility and effectiveness in handling multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing conditions.
- Bolstering relationships with key state legislative staff for both Democrats and Republicans, as well as other mission-related advocacy organizations.
- Awareness of current political environment and on-going strategic implications that affect the legislative activities of ADF.
- Ability of reaching out and effectively using grassroots networks to advance a policy agenda.
- Knowledge of ADFs mission and strategic objectives.
Demonstrated proficiency in:
- Strong communication and relationship development skills.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Word, and Outlook.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Navigating the complex structure of the legislative branch to produce desired results.
- Professionally handle confidential information.
- Make sound decisions under demanding conditions.
- Problem solve.
- Flexibility to rapidly change priorities in order to respond to recent and changing legislative developments.
- Work, motivate, and initiate within a team and independently.
- Produce excellent written and verbal communications.
- Ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Persuade and inspire others to act.
- Travel frequently, especially during the legislative season.
Education and/or experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Affairs, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be obtained.
- J.D., and licensed to practice law.
- Preferably 10+ years professional experience involving government relations at the state level. Experience in public policy advocacy at the state level or experience in legislative or executive branch work at the state level.