The purpose of this position is to serve as a heating and refrigeration equipment mechanic in the Treasury Building and the Treasury Annex. The incumbent performs duties associated with the operation, maintenance, and major repairs of refrigeration, air conditioning and heating equipment. Must be able to start central air conditioning and heating equipment without technical assistance.
Learn more about this agency
As a Heating And Air Cond Equip Mechanic , you will:
– Operate, maintain, and repair refrigeration, air conditioning and heating systems. Perform preventive maintenance to all types of refrigeration, air conditioning and heating equipment, such as oiling fan bearings, checking proper oil level in air compressor crankcases. Inspect equipment to detect worn or damaged parts. Test for refrigerant leaks, proper functioning of controls, and proper operation of heating and air conditioning. Observe and test for proper operation of refrigerant cycle and for both high and low pressures for cooling and heating systems.
– Diagnose, test and locate malfunctions on all types of heating and air conditioning equipment, such as high and low pressures.
– Make adjustments, service and perform maintenance to compressors, condensers, lubrication systems, evaporators, and both remote and internal mechanical, electrical, and pneumatic controls. Check and clean steam or chilled water systems and replace belts and add refrigerant. Overhaul\ air conditioning systems during the non-cooling season and the heating systems during the non-heating season. In both cases, this involves dismantling the equipment and cleaning all component parts. The equipment is examined for wear and damage. Replace parts and repair deficiencies of compressors, condensers, evaporators, seals expansion or pressure valves, capillary tubes and pressure or thermostatic controls. Answer occupants complaints relating to heating and temperatures and humidity conditions.
– Maintain and repair electrical systems, facilities and fixtures, related to heating, air conditioning, ventilation and refrigeration equipment and systems. This involves installing, modifying, repairing, troubleshooting, loading and testing new and old electrical lines, circuits, systems, fixtures, controls and equipment.
– Fabricate, install and maintain complex, specialized sheet metal and ducts.
Conditions of Employment
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Must be U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
The work requires extensive walking and bending, climbing ladders, lifting up to 50 pounds, working in overhead or in tight areas, and frequently stooping, stretching, kneeling and reaching. Work requires visits to construction sites, machine rooms, and grounds.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
You must show in your experience and online application that you possess the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of this position. You must meet the screen-out element, normally addressed at the beginning of the online questions. In addition, you must also meet the majority of all the elements for this position as addressed throughout the online questions.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– This is a bargaining unit position.
– This position requires shift work and weekends
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– A one year probationary period may be required.
– Must successfully complete a background investigation.
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision (Screen-Out Element), Knowledge of Equipment, Assembly, Installation, Repair, etc., Ability To Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (includes blueprint reading), and Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, A, B, or C depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category.Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) ) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A resume, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible). Any required documents should be submitted at the time that you apply as documents will not be accepted after the vacancy closes.
All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view resume tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans' preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
In addition, we recommend that you submit copies of the following:
Recent performance appraisal
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.