This position is located in the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Research, Markets and Regulations Division, Office of Research. The incumbent will conduct economic analysis on difficult and complex topics to support CFPB functions.
See our tips on the application process and printable checklist to ensure each step of the application is completed.
Learn more about this agency
The major duties of this position include:
- Supervise or conduct sophisticated economic analyses to address important economic and policy questions designed to provide information, analysis, technical advice, and recommendations on current developments in markets for consumer financial products. Support analysis with statistical, mathematical, and econometric methods and techniques, with a high degree of professional judgment:
- Oversee the establishment of methods and systems for quantitative and qualitative collection of data, designed to support the formulation and conduct of policies related to consumer behavior, consumer credit markets, and consumer financial services markets. Supervise or organize in the collection of data which may include planning and implementing surveys of households and firms;
- Oversee the development of techniques to maintain and develop databases and related information structures for research and policy-making, and oversee methods and systems for data collection or analysis of economic information relevant to formulation of policy;
- Oversee and lead the development and maintenance of econometric models of consumer financial markets for use in policy analysis;
- Oversee the analysis and interpretation of economic and related information and participates in the policy process – locate and address new and unique issues in consumer financial services markets, provides studies of various markets and industries, assists with implementation of policies, and evaluates existing policies. Demonstrate a subject matter expertise in a particular area of consumer finance.
Occasional travel – 1-5 days per month
Conditions of Employment
- Background investigation
- You must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National
- May be required to serve a probationary period.
- Public Trust background Investigation will be required
PLEASE NOTE: Experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector.
You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience for the CN-71: For the CN-71, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the CN-60 grade level in the Federal service (for qualification purposes, the CN-60 is broadly equivalent to the GS-14). For this position, specialized experience is defined as:
Experience using knowledge of economic principles and relevant data to conduct economic research; AND
Experience formulating, planning and guiding economic studies on regulatory impact analysis for regulatory actions and regulatory policy development; OR
Experience with economic research assignments covering regulatory impact analyses and regulatory policy development with responsibility for formulating and guiding, directing, and/or exercising control over research problems; AND
Experience using knowledge of quantitative and qualitative methods and techniques and the development and use of econometric models and compliance analytics for policy and/or regulatory actions AND
Experience supervising or coordinating project assignments involving a staff of professional economists and requiring the evaluation and interpretation of economic information.
You must meet the minimum education requirements described below:
Basic Education requirement:
A. Degree: economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
B. Combination of education and experience: courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A. above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
**Please note** You MUST provide a copy of your transcripts or equivalent at the time of application. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted with application, however, official transcripts will be required upon selection.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This announcement may be used to fill like positions in other organizations within the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- All candidates will be considered without regard to any non-merit reasons such as race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, lawful political affiliation, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, parental status, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Relocation expenses may be paid, contingent upon availability of funds.
- This position is NOT eligible for bargaining unit representation.
- Ethics: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau employees are subject to government-wide ethical standards of conduct, financial disclosure requirements, and post-employment prohibitions, which applicants may review at www.oge.gov . In addition, Bureau employees must comply with the Supplemental Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection (5 CFR 9401), which, among other things, prohibit an employee or the employee's spouse or minor child from owning or controlling a debt or equity interest in an entity supervised by the Bureau. Regulations also impose restrictions on the outside activities of certain Bureau employees, including examiners and attorneys. Applicants may review the Bureau ethics regulations and a summary of the regulations at www.consumerfinance.gov . Questions regarding these requirements and prohibitions should be directed to the Bureau Ethics Office at EthicsHelpcfpb.gov .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your:
2. Responses to the online questions,
3. Required supporting documents;
4. Cover letter (optional).
Note: If a cover letter is submitted, it may be used to assess your qualifications.
We will evaluate your application by comparing your description of your work experience, level of responsibility, and accomplishments, with the requirements of the position to determine whether you meet all the qualification requirements. Your application may also be evaluated in the following areas:
- Demonstrating knowledge of economic theories, models, and techniques;
- Applying specialized knowledge in support of the Bureau's mission;
- Developing knowledge and sharing knowledge with others;
- Providing clear technical communications.
This notice is issued under the Direct-Hire authority. Using Office of Personnel Management (OPM) approved government-wide direct hire authorities, agencies may appoint candidates directly to jobs, without regard to the provisions of Title 5 U.S.C.3309 through 3318, for which OPM determines that there is a severe shortage of candidates or a critical hiring need. Candidates will be evaluated on their basic eligibility for Federal employment, minimum qualifications and possession of job-related knowledge, skills and abilities and other factors. All applicants who meet basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for further consideration.
Veterans' Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to this vacancy.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible). Please ensure all required documents, including any required work samples, narratives, or other materials as stated in this announcement, are attached to your application package. Documents can be uploaded under the category of "Cover Letter".
ICTAP PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for consideration under the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must submit proof of eligibility. For a detailed list of documents, click here .
Education Documentation: If you are qualifying based on education, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or a list of courses showing title, number of credits, grade, and date of completion. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted with application. An official transcript will be required if you are tentatively selected.
To be used in meeting qualification requirements, a college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to the Database of Accreditation of Post-Secondary Institutions and Programs . If we are unable to determine that you meet the required education, you will be found ineligible for further consideration. We recommend you get this process started as soon as possible to avoid delays in appointment if selected.
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency; more information may be found at Acceptability of Higher Education for Meeting Minimum Qualification Requirements . We recommend you get this process started as soon as possible to avoid delays in appointment if selected.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.