We are looking for a talented Corporate Counsel to join our team specializing in Corporate Transactions and Contracts for Cummins Legal in your remote home office within the U.S. or at one of our U.S. locations.
This opportunity offers a varietyof complex legal matters or projects across a wide range of businesses, regions and/or functions and carries a wide range of in-house legal responsibilities.This role conducts corporate transactions on behalf of Cummins Inc., draft and review commercial contracts for business units and segments, engage in general business counseling with the business leaders and provide strategic legal advice and support tocertain of Cummins business units.
The Cummins Legal function provides a full range of legal services in support of Cummins Inc. and its consolidated businesses. Our United States staff is located in Columbus and Indianapolis, IN. We also have international legal offices located in Australia, Brazil, China, India, Mexico, South Africa, and the United Kingdom, among other countries. Through these various offices, we are able to support our businesses throughout the world.
This is a challenging and exciting environment where you will be expected to manage a significant volume of work, deliver to tight timescales, partner with people from diverse backgrounds and handle legal issues arising from anywhere in the world.
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
Project and matter management with limited supervision showing consistently sound, independent judgment
- Share in management of outside counsel relationships
- Act as trusted advisor for mid- to high-level management; show strong grasp of business environment and the industry; effectively partner with internal stakeholders to identify and design needed improvements; provide legal as well as practical advice within the appropriate business context; understand and manage stakeholder expectations
- Assist in development of legal strategies for business.
- Influence or contribute to overall objectives and goals of organization
- Provide support and leadership in legal department projects.
- May supervise and/or mentor one or more paralegals or associate counsel
- Demonstrate specialization proficiency in one or more areas of law, specialty, function or geographic region; act as a resource to others; negotiate legal matters within the individuals realm of proficiency.
- Negotiate and draft joint venture agreements, letters of intent, memoranda of understanding and sale and purchase agreements for M&A transactions (and associated ancillary documentation);
- Negotiate and draft purchase and supply agreements, support agreements, nondisclosure agreements, long term sales agreements and other commercial contracts;
- Assign and manage work performed by outside counsel in a cost-effective manner;
- Develop processes and procedures to improve legal support for the business units; and
- General business counseling
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- Strong transactional background, with significant experience negotiating and drafting contracts.
- Willingness and ability to take on a generalist role, handling a wide range of legal issues for various constituencies, with a strong focus on customer service.
- Superior intellect, with the ability to think critically and make clear and well-reasoned decisions; strategic and innovative thinker who can bring value to his or her stakeholders and find creative solutions to complex legal problems; ability to identify and mitigate, then manage, risks
- Ability to see and handle more than the legal issues of a project; strong, pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice.
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics, as well as a commitment to diversity and a respect for others.
- Enthusiasm for working for a global company and everything that it entails: international travel as necessary, working across multiple cultures, willingness to accommodate international time zones, etc.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and stakeholders across various disciplines and cultures.
- Some international experience or show of general business counseling as opposed to purely transactional work is a plus.
- General understanding of and ability to identify issues with respect to antitrust laws. Experience/Education
- Legal experience of 8-10 years, in a law firm or law firm and in-house combine
- Strong drafting, negotiating and communication skills
- Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school
- Excellent academic credentials
- License to practice in Indiana or other jurisdiction