This position serves as a critical advisor to AAHs corporate function, including support of governance, transaction, and finance matters, assisting in the assessment of the legal needs of the organization in connection with those matters and providing legal services in a comprehensive and cost-conscious manner as necessary and appropriate.
The position will support the following functions: Acquisitions and Divestitures (including physician-related transactions); Corporate Governance matters, (including corporate organizational matters); Finance and Treasury support; Tax-Exempt Matters; Tax Matters; providing guidance on Intellectual Property matters (utilizing outside counsel); and Foundation and Charitable Function support for corporate and related matters. In relation to those functions, the position will provide or coordinate work within the Legal Department (or utilizing outside counsel) to ensure that the organization maintains ongoing regulatory compliance with applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations and accreditation standards.
This position may serve as a legal advisor to many of our physician practice groups (Ambulatory Surgery Center Joint Ventures, and Primary Service Area Business Development teams.
Examples of the matters handled by this position include: (1) negotiation and preparation of documents related to acquisitions and divestitures (including physician-related transactions); (2) preparing corporate governance documents and addressing corporate law compliance matters; (3) reviewing finance and treasury documents to support the Finance Department broadly; (4) providing counsel and oversight on tax-exempt and tax-related issues; and (5) assisting with complex transactions and hospital/system affiliations.
- Doctorate Degree in Law.
- Typically requires 5-8 years of experience in providing legal services within a major law firm or as in~house legal counsel with a focus on transactional matters / corporate law.
- Ability to draft and negotiate agreements related to acquisitions and divestitures (e.g., asset purchase agreements, partnership agreements, operating agreements, etc.), including physician-related transactions.
- Ability to run and oversee due diligence processes in acquisition and divestiture transactions.
- Ability to prepare corporate governance documents and address corporate law compliance matters.
- Ability to provide counsel and oversight on tax-exempt and tax-related issues.
- Ability to effectively leverage the use of outside counsel while controlling costs.
- Ability to work effectively with governmental and other regulatory agencies to protect the best interests of the system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and other stakeholders.
- Attorney licensed to practice law issued by the state in which the team member practices.
- Delivers legal services to the organization as directed by the leader of the functional team or other senior Legal Department leadership.
- Understands relevant business objectives and identifies and delivers effective business and legal solutions (i.e., business aware solutions) while protecting the systems interests and mitigating legal and reputational risk, demonstrating and supporting a culture of responsibility and ethical behavior.
- Advises the leader of the functional team and other senior Legal Department leadership on all legal matters related to the assigned function, identifying effective solutions to business and legal issues. Carries out those solutions to those issues as directed by senior Legal Department leadership.
- Contributes to material strategic imperatives of the department and the functional team at the direction of the leader of the functional team and other senior Legal Department leadership.
- As directed by the leader of the functional team or other senior Legal Department leadership, provides input in planning, designing, developing, and implementing the legal function within the functional team.
- Provides input and advice to the leader of the functional team or other senior Legal Department leadership in the assessment and management of outside legal relationships related to the assigned function, retains outside counsel as required at the direction of the leader of the functional team or other senior Legal Department leadership, and oversees the performance of outside counsel.
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to the organization’s Code of Ethical Conduct and for ensuring that personal actions, and the actions of employees supervised, comply with the policies, regulations and laws applicable to the organization’s business.