This vacancy is for a Program Assistant position in the Office of the Director, located at the U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters in Suitland, Maryland. The Census Bureau is accessible from the Metro Rail Green Line – Suitland Station.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Program Assistant, GS-0303-7, FPL 8 positions within the Census Bureau in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and specialized experience.
Learn more about this agency
- Monitor critical projects with various subject matter topics, to include fielding general inquiries on a diverse set of activities, reports and programs.
- Substitute and provide back up for, as necessary, the executive assistants to the Director/Deputy Director & Chief Operating Officer.
- Provide support to various special assistants assigned to the Director/Deputy Director & Chief Operating Officer, to include items such as timekeeper, data spreads, travel and other duties, as needed.
- Provide assistance for various meetings of the Director/Deputy Director & Chief Operating Officer, Department Working Groups, Census Advisory Committees, and visitors from other statistical agencies, Office of Management and Budget, etc
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizen.
- Suitable for Federal employment.
- Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the announcement closing date.
- Registered for Selective Service, if applicable. (www.sss.gov)
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
A probationary period may be required.
This position is ELIGIBLE for telework; additional criteria will be required (e.g., supervisory approval).
This is a NON BARGAINING unit position.
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and individual states being in different phases of reopening, once the selectee becomes an employee, the report date to the official duty station/facility may be delayed until such time that management notifies the employee of their requirement to report. Until it is safe to relocate, the employee may be approved to telework to the maximum extent possible, up to and including full-time.
Specialized Experience: For the GS-7, you must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-6 in the Federal service. Experience for this position includes experience creating documentation that adhere to procedures and format requirements; experience using office-related software packages to create, edit and finalize tables/reports, memos, spreadsheets, and presentation materials; experience performing administrative procedures, methods, and techniques to support program activities such as preparing travel arrangements, time and attendance, registering staff for training; experience preparing and distributing meeting schedules, announcements, agendas and related materials to internal and external customers; and/or experience contacting internal and external individuals to secure date, time, location, and cost of meeting rooms and seminars.
Education cannot be substituted for experience at this grade level.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
The Department of Commerce provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. TTY users can contact the Human Resources Office via the Federal Relay Service, 1-800-877-8339.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions). Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. The best-qualified candidates will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
Due weight shall be given to performance appraisals and awards in accordance with 5 CFR § 335.103(b)(3).
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Knowledge of an organization's substantive programs, supervisor's views, and administrative functions, sufficient to answer routine inquiries on administrative functions and route to proper units.
- Ability to advise and instruct executive assistants in subordinate organizations concerning such matters as directives, reports and correspondence.
- Knowledge of general administrative functions, procedures, and systems.
- Knowledge of meeting protocol and how to organize and administer meetings.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
Do NOT include the following types of information in your application:
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Date of Birth (DOB)
- Photos of yourself (if included on your resume you will not be considered for this position)
- Personal information: such as age, gender, religious affiliation, etc.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application consists of the following:
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must list your educational and work experience including the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. For work in the Federal service, please include the grade level for the position(s). Your resume may be used to validate your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire. Your resume should also indicate your citizenship and if you are registered with the Selective Service System if you are a male born after 12/31/59.
- SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action," supporting your eligibility, with the exception of current Census Bureau employees.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) documentation, if applicable (see other information).
You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education's website – http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation when requested will result in lost consideration.
CTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Career Transition Resources website at: https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf .
CTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
NOTE: You will not be considered if you fail to provide all required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.