As USAC continues to support universal service impacting health care providers, educators, and consumers, it is critical now more than ever that we hire people equally passionate and committed to helping fulfill our mission. We are currently seeking an experienced, dynamic and collaborative leader to serve as a Co-Deputy General Counsel within our General Counsel Division. Reporting to the Vice President and General Counsel you will:
- Serve as a member of the legal team principal staff interfacing between the Vice President and General Counsel and the direct report team.
This is an outstanding career opportunity for a proven leader interested in a genuine professional challenge in support of a public-spirited mission.
Working in a creative and fast-paced environment and under the leadership of the VP and General Counsel, the Co-Deputy General Counsel will manage the day-to-day operations with the other Co-Deputy General Counsel. Among others, your responsibilities will include the following:
- Manage the General Counsel team within the Office of General Counsel.
- Work with the Divsion Vice President and other Co-Deputy General Counsel to manage the day-to-day legal affairs.
- Serve as a backup for the Division Vice President.
- Provide legal advice on telecommunications law matters.
- Perform human resource management activites including: identifying performance problems, developing plans for remedial action, evaluating performance, and interviewing and selecting staff.
- Communicate both in writing and orally with internal clients concerning legal matters.
- Foster teamwork and plan to achieve desired results.
- Particpate in developing and implementing a division plan which supports and implements the organization’s plan.
- Work with the Division Vice President to prepare quality issues papers for Committee, Subcommittee and Board meetings on a timely basis.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws affecting USAC operations.
- Collaborate and work closely with the Vice President with establishing corporate legal goals and tracking results.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will excel at operating in a diverse and fluid environment, and will be crucial for the success of the Office of the General Counsel.
- Bachelor Degree (Master Degree strongly preferred) and advanced relevant techincal training and certifications
- Juris Doctorate from an Accredited Law School
- Eight (8) to Ten (10) years of directly related experience
- Five (5) to Seven (7) years of management and business leadership experience
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of experience with corporate law and managing outside counsel
- Possess strong business acumen and itegrate legal and business objectives
- Ability to exercise sound legal and business judgement and ability to influence at varying levels of the organization
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal and presentation skills, including the ability to prepare and deliver information consisely orally and in writing
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, and legal research skills
- Ability to work in high-pressure situations
- Experience with the federal Universal Service Fund Programs (i.e., Schools and Libraries, Rural Health Care, High Cost and Lifeline) is strongly preferred
- Attorney license in good standing and admission to the bar in at least one state
Through its administration of the $10 billion Universal Service Fund (USF) programs on behalf of the FCC, USAC works to promote the availability of quality services at just, reasonable and affordable rates and to increase access to advanced telecommunications services throughout the nation. Specifically, the USF programs provide funding for the expansion of telecommunications and broadband access to rural communities and health care facilities, schools and libraries across the country, and low income households. Through program administration, auditing, and outreach, USAC works with contributors, service providers, and program beneficiaries to achieve the program goals articulated by the FCC for each of these programs.
The FCC has reformed the USF to support further investment in and access to evolving broadband infrastructure, making the programs a primary vehicle to support this critical national priority. USAC, as the administrator of the USF, plays a critical role in supporting the ambitious vision to ensure that all citizens in the United States have access to high-speed broadband. The organization has approximately 500 employees with an operating budget of more than $200 million. USAC works in close partnership with the FCC and other federal and state partners to support the achievement of the USF program goals.
USAC administers the USF programsHigh Cost, Lifeline, Rural Health Care, and Schools and Libraries. USAC strives to provide efficient, responsible stewardship of the programs, a key national asset in making important telecommunications and Internet services available to consumers, health care providers, schools, and libraries throughout the United States. The program divisions are supported by additional USAC personnel in Finance, General Counsel, Information Systems, Internal Audit, the Enterprise Program Management Office and Human Resources. Consistent with FCC rules, USAC does not make policy for or interpret unclear provisions of statutes or the FCCs rules.
Universal service is paid for by contributions from telecommunications carriers, including wireline and wireless companies, and interconnected Voice over Internet Protocol providers, including cable companies that provide voice service, based on an assessment of their interstate and international end- user revenues. These contributions are most typically passed through to consumers through a universal service fee line item on their telephone bills.
Additional information on USF programs can be found at: https: www.usac.org/about/
USAC offers a comprehensive benefits package, ongoing professional development opportunities, including vacation and sick leave.
USAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only principals will be accepted. No agencies please.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, click the Apply For This Job Online button.
USAC employees are passionate about our mission. Our work contributes to the success of all Americans. Weve worked together to build a culture that is collaborative, ambitious, outcome-oriented, and feedback-focused.