Help us scale our global business development legal team!
The legal team at Stripe is looking for an experienced business development and partnerships lawyer to join our team in San Francisco, CA, Seattle, WA, or New York, NY. As business development counsel supporting our global partnerships team, you will help to build and grow Stripes relationships with financial institutions, payment networks, and technology partners that will be key to Stripes growing global economic infrastructure and financial tools for the internet.
Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Stripe operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment around the world. You should be comfortable supporting highly regulated, often complicated products that require deal work and advice across legal disciplines. Join us and work with a great team to solve hard problems.
In this role you will:
- Serve as counsel for Stripes global partnerships team, helping to build and grow Stripes relationships with domestic and international financial institutions, payment and card networks, and technology and commerce partners.
- Work closely with Stripes payments, banking and financial products, new markets, partnerships, and other teams to structure and negotiate agreements with partners and to manage existing relationships.
- Coordinate with product, engineering, and other teams at Stripe to ensure that the deals we enter will support Stripes current and future product development.
- Scale our deals and the products they support by helping to develop, share, and deploy knowledge and best practices for working with partners, including the application of payment network rules, regulations, and contractual commitments to Stripes products and services.
- Manage outside counsel across multiple jurisdictions to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical deals.
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- 6+ years of experience working on complex transactions, including being lead lawyer on high-value, strategic deals negotiating opposite experienced counsel.
- A broad legal knowledge that enables you to spot and resolve a variety of legal issues in transactions across multiple jurisdictions (e.g., contract, IP, privacy, consumer protection, regulatory); strong drafting chops with an aversion to gratuitous whereases, heretofores, and other words for words sake; and an ability to identify and communicate practical, risk-based solutions to issues as the lead negotiator and drafter of business-critical agreements.
- Experience counseling product teams, technical teams, and other clients on deal structure and its application to goals for their products and teams.
- Strong interest in financial technology.
- Admission and license to practice law in one or more US states.
- Extreme organizational skills.
The person we want to hire for this role will also:
- Be a terrific deal lawyerwilling and able to roll up your sleeves and get into the details of major deals.
- Have worked in, or closely with, one or more technology companies to structure complex financial services relationships.
- Have a solid understanding of payments systems and other financial products and services, as well as related financial services regulations (or the aptitude and interest to master these areas quickly).
- Have experience doing deals involving major financial institutions and working in a regulated space.
- Have experience doing international deals and working across cultures.
- Love technology and be a quick study on new things, how they work, and what they do.
- Thrive working on a team in a fast-paced environment with priorities that frequently change and occasionally compete.
- Be a great communicator and solid project manager, able to effectively prioritize and advance a large number of deals happening simultaneously, often on tight deadlines.
- Please include a resume and LinkedIn profile.