Thank you for your interest in a career at Regions. At Regions, we believe associates deserve more than just a job. We believe in offering performance-driven individuals a place where they can build a career — a place to expect more opportunities. If you are focused on results, dedicated to quality, strength and integrity, and possess the drive to succeed, then we are your employer of choice.
Regions is dedicated to taking appropriate steps to safeguard and protect private and personally identifiable information you submit. The information that you submit will be collected and reviewed by associates, consultants, and vendors of Regions in order to evaluate your qualifications and experience for job opportunities and will not be used for marketing purposes, sold, or shared outside of Regions unless required by law. Such information will be stored for a set period of time. You may review, modify, or update your information by visiting and logging into the careers section of the system.
At Regions, the Business Unit Legal Counsel Manager leads a team of legal professionals that provide legal guidance to a specific business unit. This manager will build strong relationships and work closely with the business while ensuring that Regions and its shareholders are well protected and positioned in the market. This position acts a strategic partner to the line of business executive and is a core member of the legal team reporting directly to the General Counsel.
This role involves managing and supporting projects across the full range of subject matter supported by the legal team. In addition, the ability to adapt to changing priorities and business needs, carry out major assignments, handle business operational timelines, be proactive in identifying areas of need, and generating action plans. The candidate must be comfortable making recommendations and proposals to senior management to affect change.
- Works with the business, legal colleagues, and the other control functions to identify and manage franchise and reputational risks
- Plays a key leadership role in building relationships with business leaders, team members and other departments through an open and collaborative style
- Creates processes, provides detailed legal decisioning, and implements improvements to promote efficiency and effectiveness of the department, facilitate change and control costs
- Structures, negotiates and drafts commercial agreements
- Advises businesses on legal issues as well as proactively advising on potential risks; identifies legal and regulatory trends and advises business on how to pursue business goals in a way that mitigates potential legal/regulatory issues
- Manages outside counsel and develops strategy for litigation and regulatory proceedings
- Produces clear and concise legal positions involving highly complex issues
- Works closely with other key functional partners, including compliance and risk management
- Offers sensible solutions and provide constructive advice in areas where laws are uncertain and evolving
This position is exempt from timekeeping requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act and is not eligible for overtime pay.
This position is incentive eligible.
- Doctor of Jurisprudence (J.D.) from an accredited law school
- Twelve (12) years of experience providing general counseling in business environment
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law
- Experience working with a high performance, client-focused legal team
- Experience structuring, drafting and negotiating relevant commercial agreements
- Keen understanding of emerging legal trends and risks in the regulatory and litigation arenas
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with key resources and stakeholders, influencing decisions and managing work to achieve strategic goals.
- Significant experience supporting large and highly complex financial institutions to include experience with prudential and other federal or state regulators is preferred.
Skill and Competencies
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- First class interpersonal and communication skills
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Well-versed in how business operates with financial acumen
- Solutions oriented advisor with sound regulatory and legal risk analytical capabilities; strategic thinker
- Willingness to actively engage with business partners
Regions Center – Birmingham