Open Until Filled
The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office seeks an attorney to represent the State of Wyoming in civil actions brought against State agencies and employees and peace officers employed by the State and by local governmental entities. This includes lawsuits arising under the Wyoming Governmental Claims Act and Federal civil rights laws filed in any state or federal court in Wyoming. The attorney in this position handles a significant number of complex cases involving constitutional claims, voluminous records, regular client communications, and the preparation of pleadings and briefs to be filed in state and federal court. This attorney will have the opportunity to mentor other attorneys in the section in areas such as legal writing and the litigation process.
Human Resource Contact: Tara Gross tara.gross2wyo.gov (307) 777-7893
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function performed at the job level.
- The ability to analyze complicated legal and factual issues.
- The ability to present issues clearly in either written or oral form. This position involves litigation in state and federal courts. The attorney in this position should feel comfortable with the discovery process, taking and defending depositions, motions practice, speaking before courts and administrative agencies, drafting letters, pleadings and briefs, and oral advocacy in various settings.
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively with the Wyoming Attorney General’s Office staff and with a variety of clients.
Preference may be given to applicants who have experience in litigating claims arising under the Wyoming Governmental Claims Act, or similar statutes of other states or claims arising under federal civil rights laws.
**All applicants must provide the following as attachments as part of the application process:
- Professional resume – include references.
- Recent writing sample
- Law school transcript
- Knowledge of and/or experience with substantive aspects of governmental claims act statutes, constitutional law, and federal civil rights statutes.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with state and federal rules of civil procedure.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in prosecuting or defending governmental claims and/or civil rights litigation in state or federal courts.
- Knowledge of and/or understanding of administrative law; the promulgation of administrative rules and regulations, and litigating contested case matters before administrative agencies.
- FLSA: Exempt
- Successful applicants are required to pass a criminal background investigation
- This position is at-will and is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Attorney General (W.S. 0-1-608)
- To the extent that you are already familiar with governmental claims acts or federal civil rights litigation, and are willing to mentor other attorneys, you are encouraged to apply.
- To the extent that you are not familiar with these areas of the law, but you have an interest in them, you are still encouraged to apply. The successful applicant will be provided with training and mentorship to ensure that you have the knowledge you need to succeed.
- Please review your application for completeness and accuracy.
Click here to view the State of Wyoming Classification and Pay Structure.