At The Standard, youll join a team focused on putting our customers first.
Our continued success is driven by a high-performance culture. Were looking for people who are collaborative, accountable, creative, agile and are driven by a passion for doing whats right across the company and in our local communities.
We offer a caring culture where you can make a real difference, every day.
Ready to reach your highest potential? Lets work together.
Who We Are
The Standard is an insurance and financial services company headquartered in Portland, OR. The company has approximately 3,000 employees, 6 million customers and $34 billion in assets under administration.
Location: Candidates seeking a remote position are welcome to apply. This position will require travel to The Standards offices in Portland
What Youll Do
Youll counsel management on the legal implications of all company activities, providing legal services in matters affecting the Company, and keeping abreast of legislative and administrative regulatory developments. Youll use your collaborative leadership skills to support the work of the Legal Transactions team as they provide services throughout the business.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to all company divisions to minimize and manage liability and regulatory risks, while supporting the Companys strategy and business objectives.
- Advise management on complex legal and regulatory issues and interpret and prepare legal documents. Recommend and implement appropriate action in response to legislative and regulatory changes and case law.
- Collaborate with the Legal & Compliance leadership team to establish strategic plans and objectives. Develop, direct, and communicate strategy, policies, and approach to achieve department goals.
- Lead the transactions team and to ensure management of the Companys legal risks, consistently strong customer support, and focus on continual improvement.
- Manage and obtain services of outside counsel to complement available internal legal resources.
The Skills and Background Youll Need
- Education: Juris Doctor degree.
- Experience: 10 years of experience as in-house counsel, including management.
- Requires planning, facilitation, and leadership skills as well as advanced knowledge of key legal and regulatory issues that affect the Company.
- Professional Certification required: licensed to practice law in the applicable state. Membership in the State Bar of Oregon or eligibility for admission based on reciprocity.
What Youll Get From Us
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An engaging and inclusive work environment
- A performance driven culture with respect for people
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.