This position is located in the United States Mint, Protection Department, Security Division, Washington, D.C.
The incumbent serves as a supervisory senior security specialist with Mint-wide responsibilities. The position Serves as team leader for members of the physical security staff assigned responsibility for facilities in the designated locations. This position is HQ based with oversight at HQ and Mint-wide.
Learn more about this agency
This opportunity is also open to Status eligibles under Announcement 20-MINT-504. Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
As a Supervisory Physical Security Specialist, you will:
-Design, develop, evaluate, and install protection systems and devices to ensure that sensitive information, equipment, and other material is not compromised, sabotaged, stolen, misused, or subjected to malicious mischief or other acts of willful interference.
-Determine the number and kinds of safes, alarms, locks, fences, and markings required. Lay out restricted and controlled areas. Set up personnel circulation, control, and entry systems. Develop procedures for the movement and handling of sensitive material.
-Review the performance of subordinate supervisors and staff.
Occasional travel – 1 to 5 nights per month may be required.
Conditions of Employment
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your résumé.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
For the GS-14, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience for this position includes:
– Make recommendations, plan, evaluate, develop and manage physical security programs, AND
– Coordinate, control, and install protective systems and devices to ensure that sensitive information, protection of resources and high-value assets, equipment, and other material is not compromised, sabotaged, stolen, misused, or subjected to malicious mischief or other acts of willful interference, AND
– Implement policies and procedures and ensuring that the policies and procedures are communicated to all personnel within the unit.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– This is a non-bargaining unit position.
– We offer opportunities for telework.
– We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– All employees are required to wear face masks while on MINT property.
– A one year probationary period may be required.
– A one year supervisory probationary period may be required.
– Must successfully complete a background investigation.
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
– File a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report within 30 days of appointment and annually from then on.
– Undergo an income tax verification.
– Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Project Management, Analytical, Communication, and Teamwork. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, superior, good, and acceptable, depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. A subject matter expert may be used in the evaluation. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) ) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
In addition, we recommend that you submit copies of the following:
– A list of awards received (if applicable). DO NOT send copies of awards.
– A copy of your most recent completed performance appraisal.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.