The primary purpose of this position is to serve as the Highly Qualified Expert, Chief Digital Transformation Officer in SAF/CN.
Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.
Learn more about this agency
This is a Highly Qualified Expert position. As the Chief Digital Transformation Officer, you will be responsible for developing and implementing a holistic digital transformation strategy for the Department of the Air Force. The incumbent will identify, prioritize, and execute transformation initiatives to enable warfighters globally. In this role, the incumbent will oversee transformation activities to include revitalizing and building the digital workforce, driving sustainable DevSecOps initiatives, and implementing artificial intelligence and autonomous system capabilities to enhance warfighting capabilities. The incumbent will report directly to the Department of the Air Force Deputy Chief Information Officer.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Complete applications MUST be received by 11:50 p.m. (EST) of the closing date of the announcement to be considered
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Active Duty Military Members must indicate retirement eligibility
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- EXECUTIVE PERSONNEL FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE REPORT (OGE Form 450). Selected candidate must file this report in accordance with the Ethics in Government Act of 1978.
- Position may require incumbent to be available for other than normal duty hours to include weekends to support exercises and crisis planning.
- Position requires travel under conditions specified in the DoD Joint Travel Regulations. Incumbent is expected to travel on short notice to attend high-level meetings.
- Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants.
- A 4-day break in service is required to any personnel formerly within the civil service or uniformed service.
Eligibility will be based upon a clear showing the applicant has training, education and experience of the scope and quality sufficient to effectively carry-out the duties of the position.
A. MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS (TQs) : A supplemental statement must be submitted separately addressing each TQ.TQs must provide specific examples that address relevant experience and accomplishments. Applicants must reflect superior technical qualifications demonstrated through leadership and management in the following:
1. Thorough understanding of the application and inculcation of digital technologies and processes including information technologies, cyber security capabilities, DevSecOps and agile processes, cloud computing, containerization and virtualization technologies, artificial intelligence, and autonomous systems.
2. Significant experience and knowledge in leading programs and initiatives related to the major digital transformation duties and responsibilities, including automation, digital workforce development, Zero Trust networking, vetting and adoption of advanced technology, DevSecOps, AI, and Cybersecurity.
There is no education requirement for this series.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Recruitment: Payment of Recruitment Incentive may be authorized in accordance with 5 CFR 575.102
Enhanced Pay Authority: If authorized, an Enhanced Pay Authority may be considered, with the authority to fix the rate of basic pay for the position at a rate NTE 150% of the rate of basic pay payable for Level I of the Executive Schedule.
Active-Duty/Retired Military: State highest rank held, date of promotion and date eligible to retire or date of retirement. (e.g., Colonel/June 2006/December 2014). NOTE: IAW 5 U.S.C. 3326, a 180-day waiver will be required for retired or retiring members of the armed forces during the period of 180 days immediately after retirement.
Veterans Preference: If you are claiming veteran's preference, you MUST submit the appropriate documentation. Failure to do so WILL result in the loss of veteran's preference, and will possibly impact your placement on the certificate. For more veterans' information please click here .
– 10-Point Veterans' Preference: You MUST submit a signed SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof as required by the SF-15. Click here for a copy of the SF-15 .
– 5-Point Veterans' Preference: You MUST submit a copy of your DD-214 which includes Character of Service (usually Member-4 copy). If you are currently active duty, you may submit written documentation (certification) from your branch of service certifying that you are expected to be discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions no later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed. The certification should also include when your terminal leave will begin, your rank and dates of active duty service.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here .
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
HIGHLY QUALIFIED EXPERTS: Applications will be evaluated against the foregoing qualification requirements. Failure to meet any one of the mandatory technical qualifications will eliminate a candidate from further consideration. A screening panel will evaluate the candidates for this position composed of a diverse mix of senior executives selected for organizational and/or functional backgrounds relevant to this position. The panel members will individually review each of the applications in terms of the qualifications criteria contained in this announcement. The qualifications stated are the minimum requirements of the position to be Qualified, a rating schedule will be applied by a screening panel to determine which candidates are considered to be Best Qualified. Then, they will meet to discuss each application, and reach a consensus decision as to the best qualified, qualified or not qualified candidates. The panel will interview all of the best-qualified candidates based upon consistently applied criteria. The panel will then make a recommendation of those best-qualified candidates who should be referred to the selecting official, in priority order. Final selection of a candidate is contingent upon SAF/AA approval.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To receive full consideration, each applicant must submit the documents in the format as designated. Packages that do not include all of the required documents or meet format requirements will not be forwarded for consideration.
The Qualifications Documents must be formatted using Times New Roman, size 12 font, with 1-inch margins. Do not use borders, provide photos, or list a Social Security Number on any of the Qualifications Documents.
A. Resume in the preferred format (Limit 4 pages).
B. Mandatory Technical Qualifications Statement addressing each of the TQs (Limit 6 pages).
C. Most recent completed Performance Appraisal or Performance Report.
D. Documentation to verify eligibility to apply for this position: (a). Current or former federal employees: Most recent Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50, noting your current position, grade level and salary level. On the SF-50, Box 24 should specify a "1" or "2" and Box 34 should specify a "1".
E. College transcript(s) (copy is acceptable) which demonstrate the acceptable combinations of education and experience as noted by OPM
F. Military (Retired) a copy of your DD214 and/or Retirement orders. Documents required if selected for an interview.
DO NOT SUBMIT ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Extraneous materials such as copies of position descriptions, award certificates and transmittal letters will not be forwarded for review.
This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please notify this office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be on a case-by-case basis.