At Fannie Mae, futures are made. The inspiring work we do makes an affordable home a reality and a difference in the lives of Americans. Every day offers compelling opportunities to impact the future of the housing industry while being part of an inclusive team thriving in an energizing, flexible environment. Here, you will help lead our industry forward and make your career. As a Multifamily Legal Associate General Counsel Principal, you will operate with considerable latitude in consulting, advising, and representing Fannie Maes multifamily business in service of our mission to provide stability, liquidity, and affordability in the housing ecosystem. Your work will span a wide range of multifamily loan transactions and other high-impact legal matters and projects related to the multifamily business and/or commercial real estate, mortgage finance or corporate law generally. You will ensure that legal documents, such as those related to multifamily loan transactions or the multifamily mortgage business, or other commercial contracts or corporate actions, are prepared appropriately and consistent with our business needs and priorities and risk parameters. You may advise on multifamily or corporate initiatives, product development, credit risk policies, asset management or regulatory concerns to assess legal risks to the multifamily business or the company, and may act as a subject matter or technical expert on significant business or legal decisions. This job can be based in Washington, DC or Plano, TX. THE IMPACT YOU WILL MAKEIn this role youll have the flexibility to make each day your own, while working alongside people who care so that you can deliver on the following responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice and service by combining skill and knowledge in multifamily and commercial mortgage finance, real estate law and corporate law with sound business acumen and judgement of business goals and objectives of the company or assigned business units.
- Engage with assigned business units to meet goals. Pursue details and achieve closure on transactions and various matters and projects. Provide excellent client service.
- Use business and legal judgment to balance an appropriate level of risk against the business needs in a particular situation. Operate within the framework of allowable corporate behavior and governance, and legal and regulatory compliance.
- Supervise and actively direct outside counsel.
- Work closely with business clients and outside counsel to ensure adherence to important corporate and regulatory policies.
- May plan, guide, and/or oversee the performance of in-house counsel, team members, and/or legal support staff.
- Draft templates and write, review or revise financing documents. May draft comment letters. May analyze legislation that impacts the company and assist the company in responding to inquiries from Congress and government agencies.
- Prepare and manage a due diligence budget. Coordinate with internal departments to ensure proper tracking and accounting of legal due diligence expenses.
#LI-VN1THE EXPERIENCE YOU BRING TO THE TEAMBasic Qualifications
- Juris Doctorate Degree (required)
- 8+ years of related experience
- Experience negotiating and closing complex commercial real estate finance transactions is required.
- Experience providing coordination and oversight of outside counsel.
- Experience working independently in fast-paced environment.
- Experience communicating with clients and building trusted advisor relationships.
- Experience working in a collaborative legal or business environment.
- Multifamily, affordable housing, asset management or loss mitigation/workout experience is highly desirable.