This vacancy is for an Accountant position in the Finance Division located at the U.S. Census Bureau Headquarters in Suitland, Maryland. The Census Bureau is accessible from the Metro Rail Green Line – Suitland Station.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill other Accountant, GG-510-09 FPL GG-12 positions within the Census Bureau in the same geographical location with the same qualifications and specialized experience.
Learn more about this agency
- Formulate a variety of routine financial reports and implementing fiscal year-end closing procedures for specific funds.
- Develop procedures to design or modify automated accounting systems.
- Provide advice to management, assist in applying financial data, and recommend alternatives to resolve difficult problems.
- Analyze financial data from domestic and/or foreign business firms.
- Working independently or in a team environment to research problems and provide responses to requests.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizen.
- Suitable for Federal employment.
- Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the announcement closing date.
- Registered for Selective Service, if applicable. (www.sss.gov)
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
This vacancy is advertised under 2 different announcements. Please read the 'Who May Apply' section carefully to determine your eligibility. If you are not eligible under this announcement, please see FIN-2020-0047, Accountant, GG-510-09, CENSUS-MP-NMH .
This position may be filled as a competitive temporary promotion opportunity not to exceed (NTE) 9/25/2021 by a current career or career-conditional Department of Commerce employee. This temporary promotion may be extended (not exceeding a maximum of 5 years), terminated earlier, or made permanent at management's discretion. At the conclusion of the temporary promotion, the employee will return to their position of record.
This position may be filled as a term appointment, initial appointment is not to exceed (NTE) 9/25/2021. This appointment may be extended 2 additional years at management's discretion and may not exceed a maximum of 4 years.
This position may be filled as a temporary appointment, initial appointment is not to exceed (NTE) 9/25/2021. This appointment may be extended at management's discretion up to a maximum of 1 additional year (24 months of total service).
This position may be filled as a REIMBURSABLE DETAIL OPPORTUNITY (NTE) 9/25/2021. This detail may be extended for additional terms. Written Agreements will be facilitated between Agencies. You will maintain your current title, salary and continue to be permanently assigned to your current organization; however, the Census Bureau, Finance Division will sign a formal agreement with your organization to allow you to temporarily support our team. In addition, no promotion will be authorized. A current Federal Government employee, selected for a detail, will be assigned to the position at his or her current grade and salary.
This position is ELIGIBLE for telework; additional criteria will be required (e.g., supervisory approval).
This is a BARGAINING unit position.
Relocation expenses WILL NOT be paid.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and individual states being in different phases of reopening, once the selectee becomes an employee, the report date to the official duty station/facility may be delayed until such time that management notifies the employee of their requirement to report. Until it is safe to relocate, the employee may be approved to telework to the maximum extent possible, up to and including full-time.
Minimum Education Requirement: Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
Specialized Experience: For the GG-09, you must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 in the Federal service. Experience for this position includes: Experience for this position includes performing a variety of routine accounting assignments, to include, interpreting and applying accounting laws, policies and procedures; examining accounting documents for proper classification and authorization; performing reconciliations; entering and processing data into various accounts and the general ledger; closing entries; preparing monthly trial balances and financial reports; and/or developing standard operating procedures.
Education: 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer.
The following links provide information on various hiring authorities that may enable you to apply through merit assignment procedures, or be eligible for a non-competitive appointment.
- VRA (GS-11 or below)
- 30% or more disabled veteran
- Persons with disabilities
The Department of Commerce provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis. TTY users can contact the Human Resources Office via the Federal Relay Service, 1-800-877-8339.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/No, Multiple Choice questions). Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. The best-qualified candidates will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
Due weight shall be given to performance appraisals and awards in accordance with 5 CFR § 335.103(b)(3).
The scored occupational questionnaire will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices, methods, and techniques.
- Knowledge of procedures used to enter, modify, retrieve, and delete information in authomated accounting systems.
- Knowledge of Federal accounting regulations, procedures, policies, and precedents to carry out accounting functions.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles of the United States and/or foreign countries to analyze financial.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment and to communicate orally and in writing.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process.
Do NOT include the following types of information in your application:
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Date of Birth (DOB)
- Photos of yourself (if included on your resume you will not be considered for this position)
- Personal information: such as age, gender, religious affiliation, etc.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
A complete application consists of the following:
- Resume showing relevant experience; cover letter optional. Your resume must list your educational and work experience including the dates (mm/dd/yy) of each employment along with the number of hours worked per week. For work in the Federal service, please include the grade level for the position(s). Your resume may be used to validate your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire. Your resume should also indicate your citizenship and if you are registered with the Selective Service System if you are a male born after 12/31/59.
- SF-50, "Notification of Personnel Action," supporting your eligibility, with the exception of current Census Bureau employees.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) and Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) documentation, if applicable (see other information).
- Documentation supporting eligibility for non-competitive appointment, (Schedule A disability, 30 percent disabled veteran, certain military spouses, etc).
- Education Documentation: If this position requires proof of higher education, or you are substituting education for experience, you must submit an unofficial transcript or a list of courses that includes the following information: name of accredited institution, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. This also applies to Census Bureau employees. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. Please refer to https: www.opm.gov/qualifications/policy/ApplicationOfStds-04.asp for more information.
You are not required to submit official documents at this time; copies are sufficient.
Special Instructions for Foreign Education: Qualifying education from colleges and universities in foreign countries must be evaluated in terms of equivalency to that acquired in U.S. colleges and universities. Applicants educated in whole or in part in foreign countries must submit sufficient evidence, including transcripts, to an accredited private organization for an equivalency evaluation of course work and degree. A listing of these accredited organizations can be found on the Department of Education's website – http: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html . You must provide a copy of the letter containing the results of the equivalency evaluation with a course by course listing along with your application. Failure to provide such documentation when requested will result in lost consideration.
CTAP and ICTAP candidates:
CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management's Career Transition Resources website at: https: www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/ctap_guideline.pdf .
CTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
ICTAP applicants MUST submit the following documents:
NOTE: You will not be considered if you fail to provide all required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.