LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world’s largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine’s list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies” for the third consecutive year.
The Counsel, HSE position provides day-to-day legal support on various health, safety, and environmental matters to LYBs global operations. The position serves as a subject matter expert in environmental, health and safety law, working closely with operations, site HSE, corporate HSE, and other attorneys in the legal department. The position is expected to manage a docket of HSE legal matters and function as a strategic partner to the business, analyzing complex factual and legal issues, proactively identifying issues and advising on practical solutions. The position will be based in Houston and report to the Associate General Counsel, HSE & Operations.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide legal advice and counsel on HSE compliance issues, including air, water, waste, hazardous chemicals, personal and process safety, product safety, and security issues.
- Represent the company in enforcement actions before agencies with jurisdiction over environmental, health and safety issues.
- Manage privileged investigations and provide support as needed to environmental, health safety or security incidents.
- Advise on HSE legal aspects of transactions.
- Work with legal disputes team to manage and resolve disputes with third parties relating to HSE issues.
- Keep informed of regulatory and policy developments, participate in industry associations as designated, and partner with the business to identify potential impacts and compliance strategies.
- Manage outside counsel involved in HSE matters, including setting and maintaining budgets.
- Provide training to HSE clients as needed.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience practicing environmental law.
- Excellent knowledge of core federal environmental laws (e.g., CAA, CWA, RCRA, CERCLA) and experience navigating state counterparts; broad-based experience including compliance counseling and enforcement defense, permitting, transactional support, and litigation.
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate complex legal and technical issues to executives and non-legal personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage projects and lead cross-functional teams to achieve results.
- Negotiation, influencing and advocacy skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- A commitment to excellence, teamwork, rigor, continuous improvement and engagement.
- Member in good standing with a state bar.
- Current admission or eligibility for admission to the Texas Bar.
- When permitted, travel will be required internationally and domestically (15-25%).
- Experience practicing environmental law at a large law firm.
- Experience advising on Texas environmental law.
- Experience in the chemical or petrochemical industries.
- Experience working with European or other international environmental laws.
- Experience advising on health and safety (e.g., OSHA) and product safety matters (e.g., FDA, TSCA, REACH).
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited rsums or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.