Collegial, family-friendly private holding company that owns a prominent convenience store company with over 350 locations, a refinery, senior living companies and substantial private equity investments is seeking a team-oriented, full time attorney with five to seven years experience to join its seven person legal department. The ideal candidate will have substantial transactional experience, primarily in real estate, with experience in areas of private equity investing and other corporate transactions a decided plus. The position works directly with senior business managers, providing legal advice for various divisions and organizations. Responsible for foreseeing and protecting the company against legal risks.
Negotiate and close real estate transactions from start to finish in conjunction with management team; oversee outside vendors in real estate context; draft, review and negotiate a broad range of commercial and other general contracts, master service agreements, vendor agreements, operating agreements and other corporate documents, business purchase and sale agreements, and investment documents. Handle day-to-day legal matters as assigned by General Counsel and Assistant General Counsel. Work directly with all levels of management. Create business legal reports and correspondence, and effectively present information to senior management. Assist management with contract claims. Respond effectively to inquiries from regulatory agencies, customers, and the business community.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 5+ years experience in commercial real estate and transactions, including understanding and negotiation of purchases, sales, leases, and easements.
- Ability to close complex commercial real estate transactions independently.
- Knowledge of title and survey review processes and procedures.
- Familiarity with city entitlement processes.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, communicate clearly, and prioritize issues.
- Self-starter with a pro-active mindset that has the ability to balance immediate and long-term priorities.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A team player that builds effective partnerships with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate detailed and complex information to others at all levels of the organization.
- Exhibits high degree of professionalism and confidentiality in handling and having access to sensitive information.
- Must be a strategic thinker.
Education and Experience
- Law degree from an ABA accredited law school with a license to practice law in at least one state.
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience working as an attorney with experience in real estate transactions and documents; corporate law, corporate formation and investment transaction experience is also desired.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
This is a typical office environment. The job does require sitting, standing, walking, presenting professionally and communicating in an office environment.