As an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human.
Etsy is seeking a Product & Marketing attorney to join its Commercial Legal team. We are at an exciting stage of growth, and strategic marketing, commercial, and product legal work will be key to our success! This position advises our product and marketing teams and provides commercial legal support to Etsys growing global business.
The position is located ideally in Brooklyn, NY, though there is flexibility for remote candidates, with a willingness to travel to Brooklyn quarterly. This role will report to the VP, AGC Commercial.
About the Team
We partner with every Etsy business unit, across our offices worldwide, to provide timely and business-savvy legal advice. We help teams that design products, we draft contracts and policies. We advise engineers, product design and creative teams. We advocate externally, and handle disputes to protect Etsy and our users. We meaningfully support Etsys growth by delivering legal and business know-how with a great work ethic!
About the Role:
- Work with product and marketing teams as they design groundbreaking products and tools, balancing commercial, marketing (both online and offline), compliance and privacy concerns.
- Spot and solve problems on end-to-end projects.
- Draft and negotiate complex agreements and licenses.
- Advise on marketing, intellectual property and partnerships.
- Work with a domestic and international focus.
- Work with internal partners, others within legal, and outside counsel, through clear communication and effective project management.
- Answer new questions, tackle uncharted problems, and work with business teams to meet the needs of our dynamic fast-paced environment.
- Balance sound business and legal judgment and counsel a variety of clients on commercial contract strategy, from start to finish.
- The most important quality for success on the Etsy legal team is good judgment. Knowing when to say no, yes or maybe, but… and know when to escalate. You are mindful that the company is your client, and you are savvy in your advocacy for and protection of your client.
- JD and are admitted to a state bar (preferably NY or CA)
- Qualified to work in-house in New York.
- 7+ years experience at both a law firm and in-house, dealing with issues related to product development for tech and e-commerce companies.
- You know what Product Counseling is at a tech company and you have a robust list of product counseling examples on your resume (if not-this is probably not the right role for you).
- Handled a wide portfolio of marketing, technology, operational and commercial agreements, and have developed deep knowledge in these areas.
- Proven capability as the primary point of contact with clients, and taking the lead in managing the legal side of a project.
- Experienced advising ground breaking product teams.
- Experienced advising pioneering Marketing teams.
- Deep experience with product development issues, including: web and mobile app development, privacy (US and international regs), intermediary liability, Ad technologies, cookies and trackers, accessibility and more.
- Experienced at advising internal clients and business partners on marketing and media-related matters, including advertising campaigns (US/international), social media reviews, and consumer and business insights; as well as evaluating risks and opportunities related to a companys media assets and priorities, including marketing campaigns, influencers, content production, technology partnerships, merchandising vetting, and content distribution.
- Ability to review, draft, and negotiate a wide range of US & international commercial agreements.
- Passionate about Etsys business and mission as a global marketplace for creative entrepreneurs.
- Skilled at identifying, understanding, and managing international legal and regulatory risks related to our business.
- Effective communicator — verbally and in writing. You can speak to technical specialists or business leaders in plain English, without legal jargon.
- Executive presence and are passionate about clearly articulating risk and strategies to mitigate risk to clients and executives.
- Attention to detail with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent business, negotiation and presentation skills. While we expect you to be able to read a spreadsheet and build a deck you can also analyze and communicate the information into a simple, effective message to others.
- Great teammate. Your instinct when new work comes in is to volunteer to help, you are excited by new projects, aren’t afraid to ask or answer a question, and you step up when a colleague needs a second set of hands.
- Embrace goal setting and accountability, multitasking and have excellent time management skills.
- You could work in many places, but you want to work at Etsy because you recognize that having the chance to contribute impactful work and grow a company with an outstanding mission is a rare opportunity.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.