Trillium Therapeutics is a clinical stage immuno-oncology company based in Cambridge, MA and Toronto, ON. Following recent promising clinical data updates and after raising over $300 million in 2020, the Company is now embarking on a substantial organizational scale-up to initiate a phase 2 program across a range of cancer indications. The Company is seeking a new Associate General Counsel/General Counsel (AGC/GC), who will oversee all legal matters of the company. The position will report into the CFO, with a dotted line to the CEO, and will be based in Cambridge, MA.
Trillium Therapeutics (NASDAQ: TRIL) is a clinical stage biotechnology company developing next generation immunotherapies targeting CD47, a checkpoint of the innate immune system.
Immunotherapy is a rapidly evolving field that is redefining cancer care by harnessing a patients own immune system to eliminate tumor cells. First generation immunotherapies, targeting the adaptive immune system via T cell checkpoint inhibitors, have been enormously successful scientifically (2018 Nobel prize), clinically (achieving real cure rates), and commercially (soon to be the largest drug class ever). CD47 is now emerging as one of the most promising next generation immuno-oncology targets.
Trillium has two highly differentiated CD47 blockers in development that unlike other CD47 agents have shown unique monotherapy activity across a range of hematologic malignancies. Under new leadership, Trillium has undergone a wide-ranging transformation program, including a major strategy reset. In 2020, the company raised over $300M, landed a strategic investment from Pfizer, and has been among the top performers on NASDAQ. Nearing completion of ongoing dose escalation studies, Trillium is now scaling up its organization to initiate a broad phase 2 program across several cancer indications.
Reporting to the CFO, and with a dotted line to the CEO, the AGC/GC will oversee outside counsel engagements and provide guidance on all legal and compliance initiatives, including advising on risk broadly throughout the company, corporate and commercial transactions, securities legislation, insurance, litigation, employment matters, intellectual property, and research and development initiatives. The position is based in Cambridge, MA.
- Develop functional plans for managing legal matters, including activities to be performed in-house or through outside counsel to best manage the companys legal expenses and minimize risk for the business.
- Manage and advise on corporate governance, business development transactions, capital raises, real estate, general transaction support, license agreements, securities law, intellectual property protection, employment law, risk management, and general contract management.
- Provide legal advice to the Board of Directors and its Committees, and act as the Secretary for those bodies.
- Participate in Corporate & Business Development and Investor Relations activities in collaboration with the CEO, CFO and SVP Corporate Development & Strategy.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide variety of agreements including confidentiality, material transfer, advisory board, consulting and employment agreements, market research, intellectual property-related matters, as well as other contracts with partners, vendors, research and clinical sites, manufacturers, landlords, subcontractors, and government agencies.
- Provide leadership and guidance to ensure an effective ethics and compliance program. Oversee the development of programs to prevent and detect violations of laws, company policies and other misconduct, promote ethical practices and ensure the implementation of the compliance program throughout the organization.
- Oversee legal matters pertaining to intellectual property strategy and management. Has legal responsibility for patent, copyright, and intellectual property matters.
- Address developments in the corporate regulatory and governance environment and is proactive in areas related to compliance education and training. Monitor external developments in compliance, including laws and regulations, government investigations and industry best practices.
- Oversee contract management policies and administration.
- JD from an accredited law school and admitted to practice in Massachusetts.
- 5+ years of experience practicing law with a law firm and/or in-house experience with a public biotechnology company.
- Broad legal experience covering multiple aspects of corporate law including business development, corporate contracting, intellectual property, employment, and others within life sciences industry.
- Experience with FDA and healthcare regulatory and compliance preferred, but not required.
- Demonstrated experience in commercial legal analysis and planning including effectively managing multiple projects/priorities.
- Proven ability to make sound judgements and decisions. Possess the ability to quickly assess problems/situations and provide effective solutions.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, and ability to influence.
- Strong organizational and time management skills to balance working on multiple projects in parallel.
- Professional maturity to interact and advise Board of Directors and to act as Secretary.
- Must be willing and able to be hands-on, and can thrive in a matrixed, fast-paced business environment.
- Ability to work effectively with other company leaders and develop strong working relationships with them.
- Willingness and ability to occasionally travel to the companys Toronto office.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to careerstrilliumtherapeutics.com with the title of the role in the subject line. Kindly note that phone calls and third parties are not accepted. Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.