The Office of Inspections and Evaluations (OIE) is a component of the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA). The OIE mission is to provide a range of specialized services and products related to tax administration and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) functions, activities and programs.
Learn more about this agency
As a Program Analyst, you will:
– Perform extensive quantitative and qualitative analyses of an IRS program, function, operation or management systems and procedures to assess whether the entity is achieving economy, efficiency and effectiveness in the employment of available resources and or is in compliance with established laws, policies and procedures.
– Develop evaluation/inspection plans, making recommendations for objectives, approaches, or tests, based on experience or research.
– Independently identify, develop, and quantify inspection/evaluation outcomes for findings and recommendations that result in program improvements.
– Prepare correspondence, memorandums, and reports based on the work papers developed to communicate complex IRS's program operations and systems, in conformance with accepted writing and reporting standards with the emphasis on correctness, conciseness, completeness, clarity, coherence, objectivity and tone.
– Communicate with officials at various levels of management on problems uncovered, causes, recommended changes and evaluation of subsequent corrective actions.
50% or less – Six to ten days per month.
Conditions of Employment
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
- Must be U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.
The experience may have been gained in either the public, private sector or volunteer service . One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis. To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/day/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week on your resume.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
Specialized experience: For the GS-13, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes:
– Planning, conducting, and documenting results of audits or projects within a tax administration organization. OR
– Conducting and planning audits or projects in accordance with applicable standards. AND
– Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas in relation to audits or projects:
Communicating issues identified;
Recommending courses of action;
Performing briefings and/or presentations to management to defend a position or to gain support from the audience; or
Developing written products such as draft or final reports and memoranda.
– We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
– This is a non-bargaining unit position.
– We offer opportunities for telework.
– We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
– A one year probationary period may be required.
– Must successfully complete a background investigation.
– Public Trust – Background Investigation will be required.
– You will be required to regularly report to the Duty Station listed above. While teleworking is an option, approval is at management's discretion based on duties, business needs, performance, etc
– Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency
– If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
– Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
– Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9 . Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
– Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related travel.
– The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position is conditioned upon review/check of the candidate's tax compliance. Further, all TIGTA employees are subject to an employee tax compliance program to ensure that employees fulfill their personal tax responsibilities.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your résumé, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your résumé includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Leadership, Communication, Analytical and Technical. Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, Highly Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category.
Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP )) you must be assigned the middle category or better to be rated as "well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes 1. A résumé, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
It is anticipated that there will be significant interest in the announcement. As a result, the announcement will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on the date of receipt of the 150th application or at 11:59 p.m. ET on 12/4/2020; whichever occurs first. Any required documents should be submitted at the time that you apply as documents will not be accepted after the vacancy closes.
All applicants are required to submit a résumé either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/date/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your résumé. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your résumé to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view résumé tips .
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION: If you are claiming veterans preference, please see applicant guide for required documentation . In order to be considered for veterans preference, you must submit all required documentation as outlined in the applicant guide.
CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (CTAP) OR INTERAGENCY CAREER TRANSITION ASSISTANCE PLAN (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION: If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.