This position can be based from the Alexion location in Boston, MA or remote and may require up to 20% travel.
We are seeking an experienced attorney to join the Alexion Legal team as Director, Global Pipeline Counsel. This position will report to the Vice President, Global Pipeline and Operations Counsel. This new role will serves as the primary legal partner for our global commercial strategy and global medical affairs teams, with respect to multiple marketed products and late stage development programs in up to two of Alexions key therapeutic areas. The ideal candidate will have prior experience working with commercial, medical, or clinical development teams, preferably in an in-house setting in the the pharmaceutical or medical device industries.
This role will routinely interact with senior leaders in the global commercial strategy and medical affairs teams. In addition, this role will collaborate with Alexion associates across a number of different functional groups, working from locations around the world. The ideal candidate must have strong communication and collaboration skills, be proactive, and be able to work independently while managing multiple projects and internal clients.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Serve as the primary Legal point of contact for global therapeutic area leadership, as well as to the global medicine and global project teams that align to the therapeutic area(s), including:
- Reviewing and providing input to the annual therapeutic area strategic planning and long-range planning processes
- Providing contracting support and substantive input into market research programs coordinated by the global commercial strategy team
- Providing input on global pricing and market access strategies
- Coordinating the Legal review of proposed promotional and medical messaging, including supporting the global promotional and medical review processes
Serve as primary support to global medical affairs activities that align to the therapeutic area(s), including:
- Serving on the review team for proposed externally sponsored research proposals
- Providing input to the publication planning teams
- Supporting the global medical grants process
Work with the Alexion contracts group to ensure that the routine contracting needs for assigned therapeutic areas and functions are met in a timely and efficient way
- 7+ years of relevant expertise
- Substantial expertise advising on healthcare compliance and advertising/promotion-related issues for pharmaceutical or medical device companies
- Prior experience advising senior executives
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment
Eligible to practice law in an in-house setting
- 2+ years of in-house legal experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Prior experience advising on products for rare or ultra-rare conditions
- Prior experience advising across the development spectrum, from clinical development through commercialization
- Prior experience advising global and/or enterprise teams
- Prior scientific or technical training is a plus
Some opportunities happen only once in a lifetime – like a job where you have the extraordinary opportunity to change lives. At Alexion, such opportunities arise through our unwavering mission to serve patients and families affected by rare diseases. These patients are our guiding star, and we act with integrity, urgency, and discipline because we know their lives are at stake.
Alexion is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on serving patients and families affected by rare diseases and devastating conditions through the discovery, development and commercialization of life-changing medicines. As a leader in rare diseases for more than 25 years, Alexion has developed and commercializes two approved complement inhibitors to treat patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), as well as the first and only approved complement inhibitor to treat anti-acetylcholine receptor (AchR) antibody-positive generalized myasthenia gravis (gMG) and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD). Alexion also has two highly innovative enzyme replacement therapies for patients with life-threatening and ultra-rare metabolic disorders, hypophosphatasia (HPP) and lysosomal acid lipase deficiency (LAL-D) as well as the first and only approved Factor Xa inhibitor reversal agent. In addition, the company is developing several mid-to-late-stage therapies, including a copper-binding agent for Wilson disease, an anti-neonatal Fc receptor (FcRn) antibody for rare Immunoglobulin G (IgG)-mediated diseases and an oral Factor D inhibitor as well as several early-stage therapies, including one for light chain (AL) amyloidosis, a second oral Factor D inhibitor and a third complement inhibitor. Alexion focuses its research efforts on novel molecules and targets in the complement cascade and its development efforts on the core therapeutic areas of hematology, nephrology, neurology, metabolic disorders and cardiology. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Alexion has offices around the globe and serves patients in more than 50 countries. Further information about Alexion can be found at: www.alexion.com.
As a leading employer in our industry, Alexion is proud to offer a highly competitive package of base and incentive compensation as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the health, wellness and financial security of our employees and their families. Benefits include group medical, vision and dental coverage, group and supplemental life insurance, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement, relocation assistance and much more.