Job Description We currently have an opportunity available for a Senior Maritime Trial Attorney to join our Intact Insurance Specialty Solutions Staff Counsel office within our Anaheim, California location. This position independently provides legal representation and defense counsel for insureds before California courts, arbitration panels, or other bodies. The Senior Maritime Trial Attorney advises Intact Insurance Claim employees in their handling of litigated claim matters. This role is responsible for completion of caseload and trial work of moderate to high complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal. The Senior Maritime Trial Attorney also coaches and mentors junior members of the team.
- Handles a workload of defense files representing Intact Insurance insureds in property and casualty and maritime matters in California. Responsible for maintenance and completion of caseload and trial work of moderate to high complexity, whether by settlement, trial or appeal.
- Conducts all appropriate legal action to best protect the interests of the client(s) on all assigned cases. Prepares appeals and performs necessary research on motions.
- Broad authority to negotiate settlements with plaintiffs attorneys.
- Provides frequent communication and measurement of corporate and local goals.
- Coaches and mentor junior members of the team in preparation for trials involving property and casualty claims.
- Interfaces and provides counsel to other Intact Insurance Claims staff as cases develop through trial or resolution.
- Reviews and reports all large cases to managing attorney, prepares timely reports as required and schedules/attends conferences with other Claims staff to review pending litigation.
- Actively provides strategic and tactical input to management on budgetary and office operations. Provides consultation as to the proper resolution of defense files litigated on behalf of insureds.
- Maintains a strong professional knowledge of legal environments and applies this information effectively.
- Must have the ability to diagnose, analyze and solve complex problems.
- Must have proven critical thinking, decision making, problem-solving, communication, negotiation, and teamwork skills.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
Education and Experience:
- Substantial experience with discovery depositions, mediations and first chair trial experience in California.
- JD required.
- Current license to practice law in California.
- Subrogation experience is helpful but not necessary.