Why work for the Federal Bureau of Prisons?
You can have a meaningful career with an agency that truly values a diverse workforce. You will find a diverse workforce employed from entry level jobs to senior management positions. We protect public safety by ensuring federal offenders serve their sentences of imprisonment in facilities that are safe, humane, and provide reentry programming. Employees at correctional facilities perform correctional work regardless of their specific occupation.
Learn more about this agency
Serves to oversee the clinical aspects of mental health treatment provided to seriously mentally ill inmates by the Bureau of Prisons. This is accomplished through the policy oversight, the provision of technical assistance, and expertise in the area of mental illness and its treatment.
Responsible for reviewing all current literature and research to assure care for mentally ill offenders occurs at a superior level and utilizes evidence based practices.
Responsible for coordinating the staff with the Office of Research and Evaluation in conducting evaluations of BOP treatment practices.
Responsible for developing policy, providing expert advice in an area of correctional specialty, or to provide guidance, direction, supervision, advice and/or evaluation for a program or programs in correctional facilities.
25% or less – Travel may be required for training and/or work related issues.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is Required.
- See Special Conditions of Employment Section.
The Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provides eligible surplus and displaced competitive service employees in the Department of Justice with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your Department of Justice component has notified you in writing that you are a surplus or displaced employee eligible for CTAP eligibility, you may receive selection priority if: 1) this vacancy is within your CTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and score 85 or better on established ranking criteria. You must provide a copy of your written notification of CTAP eligibility with your application. Additional information about CTAP eligibility is at: Click Here
To be considered for the position, you must meet the following:
Degree: Satisfactory completion of all the requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) directly related to full professional work in clinical psychology is required.
In addition to the basic requirements, you must have:
There is no substitution of education for specialized experience for this position.
At least one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade level. To be creditable, this experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular qualifications to successfully perform the duties of the position, and that is typically be in or related to the position to be filled.
Some examples of the qualifying experience are:
- Experience assessing and providing evidence based psychological treatment to inmates with serious mental illness and inmates confined in restrictive housing or secure housing settings.
- Experience training clinical and non-clinical staff in the implementation of CBT programs to ensure fidelity to evidence based models through oral presentations, written instructions, clinical supervision, and/or protocol development.
- Experience implementing a suicide prevention program to include assessing inmates for suicidality, training staff in identifying and referring potentially suicidal inmates, reviewing fatal or near fatal events, and identifying and resolving systemic weaknesses.
Selective Placement Factor:
Applicants applying for this position, MUST also possess the following Selective Factor. In the event you do not possess the Selective Factor, you will be found ineligible for the position.
- Applicants must hold a full, current, and unrestricted license to practice psychology at the doctoral level in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia.
NOTE: ALL applicants MUST upload current license for verification at the time you apply. The documentation must show the expiration date of the license.
If applicable, credit will be given for paid and unpaid experience. To receive proper credit, you must show the actual time (such as the number of hours worked per week) spent in activities.
**Your eligibility for consideration will be based on your responses to the questions in the application.**
See Qualifications Section for education requirements, if applicable.
ONLY if education is a requirement/substitution for specialized experience, applicant MUST upload legible transcripts as verification of educational requirement. Transcripts MUST be uploaded and electronically linked from USAJOBS at the time you apply and MUST include identifying information to include School Name, Student Name, Degree and Date Awarded (if applicable). All academic degrees and coursework must be completed at a college or university that has obtained accreditation or pre-accreditation status from an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools that meet this criteria, Click Here .
Foreign Education: For information regarding foreign education requirements, please see Foreign Diploma and Credit Recognition at the U.S. Department of Education website: Recognition of Foreign Qualifications .
If you are selected for this position and qualified based on education (i.e. basic education requirement and/or substitution of education), you will be required to provide an OFFICIAL transcript prior to your first day on duty.
This position IS NOT included in the bargaining unit.
The representative rate for this position is $133,447 per annum ($63.94 per hour).
Special Conditions of Employment Section:
The incumbent is subject to geographic relocation to meet the needs of the agency.
Appointment is subject to satisfactory completion of a urinalysis, physical, and background investigation.
All applicants are subject to National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and credit checks.
The addresses listed on the USAJOBS account/resume must be the primary residence at the time of application. You may be required to provide proof of residence.
Additional selections may be made if vacancies occur within the life of the certificate.
Current Federal Law Enforcement Employees:
This is a secondary law enforcement coverage position.
Individuals that DO NOT have three years of law enforcement coverage gained in a primary law enforcement position by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, will not be eligible for this position.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
If your composite score exceeds the average score for this job, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your online assessment questionnaire responses and utilized to determine whether you meet the job qualifications listed in this announcement. If you rate yourself higher than what is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. If you are found to be among the top candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. There are several parts of the application process that affect the overall evaluation of your application:
- Your resume, which is part of your USAJOBS profile;
- Your responses to the eligibility questions;
- Your responses to the online assessment questionnaire;
- Your supporting documentation, if required.
Time-in-Grade: Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements for consideration. You must meet all qualification requirements upon the closing date of this announcement.
What Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities are Required for this Position?
The following Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) are required
- Ability to communicate in writing.
- Ability to communicate orally both in presentations and during individual interactions.
- Ability to analyze information and make recommendations, particularly in regards to the formulation of policy, plans and/or programs.
- Ability to Assess and Recommend Treatment and Interventions for Inmates with Mental Illness.
- Knowledge of Research Practices and Their Application with Mental Illness in a Correctional Setting.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Resume showing relevant experience (cover letter optional).
- In order to receive credit for experience contained in a resume, your employment history must be documented in month/year format (MM/YYYY), reflecting starting date and ending date and include the number of hours worked per week. Failure to follow this format may result in disqualification.
- Current or former Federal employees NOT employed by the Bureau of Prisons MUST submit a copy of their SF-50 Form which shows competitive service appointment, tenure group, and salary. If you have promotion potential in your current position, please provide proof. If you are applying for a higher grade, and your experience was gained at a Federal agency other than the Bureau of Prisons, you MUST provide the SF-50 Form which verifies the length of time you have been in your highest grade and supports your claim for time in grade.
- Employees applying with an interchange agreement must provide proof of their permanent appointment.
- Current federal employees NOT employed by the BOP and former federal employees MUST submit a copy of their latest yearly performance appraisal/evaluation.
- CTAP, Click Here , if applicable.
- Copy of unrestricted license to practice medicine, if applicable.
- A college transcript which includes the School Name, Student Name, Degree and Date Awarded, if applicable. (Note: If you are selected for this position, official transcript(s) will be required prior to your first day.)
Failure to provide these documents could possibly result in removal from consideration for this vacancy. If uploading documentation, do not identify/save your documents utilizing a special character such as %, #, , etc. Documentation should be identified/saved as VA Letter, DD214, or Transcripts.
We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software, delays in mail service, applicant application errors, etc.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.