Brookfield Properties has an immediate need for an Assistant General Counsel at the corporate office in Chicago, IL.
At Brookfield Properties, the foundation of our success is firmly rooted in our people.
Our company is comprised of experts across a range of specialties who share a goal of ensuring our properties are continuously evolving to meet the needs of our communities and stakeholders. To meet this goal, we hire visionary, entrepreneurial talent who help us innovate and enhance our business. We build collaborative teams who value integrity, creativity and diversity.
Our teams operate an iconic portfolio of irreplaceable properties within the worlds most dynamic markets. As one of the largest real estate services companies, we provide management and development expertise exclusively for properties owned by Brookfield Asset Management.
Our retail group operates destination, standalone retail real estate globally, including over 150 malls in the United States. Our regional shopping centers create a sense of place in the heart of the communities in which we do business: offering retail, lifestyle, dining and entertainment options.
The legal department seeks to add an experienced, energetic leasing (contracts) attorney to proactively provide legal and other consultative services in a variety of contractual matters affecting the company’s businesses and operations. The legal department provides to its varied client base a broad range of legal expertise, experience and practical knowledge in all facets of its business. The company legal department’s focus on partnering with its clients, strong commitment to quality legal representation and collegial team atmosphere make this an outstanding place to practice sophisticated corporate and transactional law. Overall, we seek qualities that display our companys core values which are Humility, Attitude, Do the Right Thing, Together and Own it.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Negotiate, draft, and review retail leases (including big box development leases), office leases, subleases, lease amendments, termination agreements, construction exhibits and other real estate contracts, lease action documentation and related real estate documentation (e.g., letters of intent, licenses, easement agreements, term commencement agreements, memoranda of lease, waivers of exclusives, lien release agreements, reciprocal access agreements, letters of credit, title reports, declarations of conditions, covenants and restrictions, etc.) that are clear, legally sound, and in terms favorable to the Company
- Analyze and address legal and contractual matters affecting Shopping Center tenants use and operation
- Assure that all agreements and contractual arrangements entered into on behalf of the Company comply with applicable corporate approvals
- Review existing leases and department store documentation and/or REAs for analysis; counsel internal clients with regard to development and redevelopment issues and impacts on existing contracts/leases
- Advise and counsel the Company internal clients with respect to the legal implications of proposed transactions
- Develop and maintain open communication and good working relationships with tenants and employee clients
- Other duties as assigned
- High School diploma or GED required
- J.D. from a leading law school with proven academic success
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant, substantive legal experience within the corporate, contracts or litigation group of a major law firm
- Experience with joint ventures, information technology, design/construction, energy, procurement and/or REITs is a plus
- Outstanding client management skills with an ability to inspire confidence and trust within a variety of clients
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to interface with people at all levels by virtue of professional competence, personal integrity and personal style
- Flexibility and strong analytic ability
- Proven success in managing multiple tasks and priorities
- Dedication and commitment to practicing law in a fast-paced, team-focused environment
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.