As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience’s daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Companys Most Innovative Companies in Media, an Inc. Company of the Year, Digidays Best Company for Parents, and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox Media is looking for an experienced attorney to join the legal team to assist with talent agreements and pre-publication review. The ideal candidate will bring superior drafting and negotiation skills, as well as a passion for supporting Vox Medias quality content.
What youll do
- Negotiate, draft and review talent agreements across Vox Media’s platforms and properties, including Vox Medias editorial networks, Vox Media Podcast Network, and Vox Creative (Vox Medias in-house advertising brand studio). Such talent agreements will vary and may include prominent journalists, hosts (on-camera, podcast, social media channels), voiceover artists, influencers, conference panelists and/or moderators, social media takeover participants and/or other special guest contributors.
- Negotiate, draft and review miscellaneous agreements (including various types of releases and freelance/independent contractor agreements) related to the creation of content, including text, audio and video content.
- Conduct pre-publication review of content for sensitive storytelling in various formats, including text, audio, and video.
- Negotiate, draft and review appearance releases for participants and attendees of editorial events & conferences.
- Conduct review of Vox Creative content for advertising disclosures.
What youll bring:
- 5+ years of relevant legal and/or business affairs experience in media, digital media, entertainment industry(ies)
- 2+ years of In-house experience at a studio, network, publishing or media company and/or experience at an entertainment law firm or department advising media and/or entertainment companies and/or individual talent clients on a variety of legal issues, transactions and contracts.
- A law degree from an ABA-accredited law school is required and must be a member in good standing of at least one state bar.
- Experience with prepublication review of sensitive storytelling in various formats.
- Experience negotiating and drafting talent agreements across varied media and formats.
- Experience negotiating and drafting content creation agreements across varied media and formats.
- In-depth knowledge of defamation and First Amendment Law, copyrights and line-drawing between editorial and commercial content.
- Excellent drafting, negotiating, problem solving, and communications skills.
- Ability to multi-task and to work both independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to formulate creative solutions to accomplish business objectives.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong work ethic.
- Collaborative team player.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefitsincluding flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You’ll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that’s challenging and funand who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.