What You’ll Do
You will join the Cisco Legal team as Product Counsel supporting Ciscos innovative Emerging Technology & Incubation (ET&I) team. ET&I is a fast-paced, glass-breaking, outside-the-box group whose mission is to incubate new products and business ventures for hand-off to Cisco product teams to bring to market.
Your support starts before product inception and follows the product development lifecycle through early release stages, but ends before going to market. Youll also draft and negotiate joint research and development agreements with universities, governments, and commercial partners, provide counsel for and manage memberships and renewals with standards and open source bodies, enable Cisco-hosted collaboration and ideation events and forums, help integrate newly acquired businesses, and much more.
Your work will focus on legal counseling primarily in the areas of intellectual property, licensing, data privacy, security, confidentiality, market access, human rights, and other legal issues related to product development and new product introduction. You will also play a critical role in shaping and implementing policies to help optimize and scale legal support as ET&I continues to grow and evolve.
Youll work closely with cross-functional teams around the globe, including engineering, research, business development, product management, finance, and operations teams who support and enable a rich portfolio of best-in-class software and hardware products. Youll also partner with subject matter experts within Legal to provide agile counsel to ET&Is upstart product teams, including the IP, IP Litigation, Open Source, Privacy, Human Rights, Regulatory, and M&A Legal teams.
ET&I Product Counsel will provide legal support to this specialized group charged with conceiving of and incubating new and emerging technologies that will complement Ciscos current portfolio and provide new revenue streams. Youll help support the ideators, entreprenuers, and engineers who create prototypes, test them, tweak them, and then retire or graduate them to production through a sister business unit. Daily work includes:
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with product development and engineering teams and advising multiple levels of management on legal issues, including executive level support.
- Developing a strong understanding of proposed product functionality, sussing out applicable legal/regulatory concerns, and helping shepherd the incubation team through Ciscos product go-to-market and release requirements, with a specific focus on new and emerging technologies.
- Reviewing and negotiating agreements with strategic partners and vendors, including sponsored research with major universitites, co-innovation, development services, and membership agreements.
- Working with Ciscos Privacy Office to implement privacy compliance and privacy by design principles.
- Assisting with acquisition and integration of products, content, talent, and technologies, including due diligence, for newly acquired technologies and businesses.
- Building cross-functional relationships with operations, finance, supply chain, IP, and other members of the Legal team to help drive product development.
- Advising the business on strategic legal issues with a laser business focus.
- Working with Ciscos Business and Human Rights team to help ensure ethical product use and drive public interest initiatives that highlight and enhance the positive impact of Cisco technology in the world.
- Training and educating the clients on relevant legal issues such as intellectual property protections, Open Source compliance, privacy by design, human rights implications of technology use,
Who You Are
Cisco is seeking a highly motivated, solutions-driven, business-friendly, and tech-savvy attorney who is excited about working in a dynamic environment supporting Ciscos Emerging Technology & Incubation business. You must have excellent legal and business judgment, possess strong critical thinking and writing skills, and maintain a proven work ethic. You should be able to work independently, as well as collaboratively and flexibly, in a collegial, fast-paced, and rapidly changing environment that requires work across both Legal and non-Legal teams alike. You must be able to adapt your approach and demeanor to match shifting demands of the business and to problem solve with speed and organization. Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and advanced interpersonal and influencing abilities to build trusted relationships with the business and Legal teammates is a must. Success requires self-motivation, confidence, diligence, and a passion to learn about new technologies and businesses.
Required qualifications include:
- J.D. and excellent academic credentials.
- State Bar member in good standing and eligibility to practice in (ideally) California.
- 8+ years of relevant legal, in-house, and/or law firm experience, but some in-house experience is required
- Experience with privacy and data protection issues, including strong knowledge of global privacy laws, particularly GDPR.
- Solid knowledge of and comfort with intellectual property, licensing, and product development issues, including patents, copyright, trade secrets, and open source.
- Strong collaborator who will work closely with engineers and product management to develop a deep understanding of the supported technologies.
- Intellectual curiosity to learn about new technologies and understand product architecture.
- Validated leadership skills and track record for building business relationships and gaining client trust.
- Practical business judgment and understanding of the difference between legal requirements and business risk; ability to assess real risk pragmatically.
- Strong organizational and program management skills and the ability to prioritize and handle several simultaneous projects for multiple businesses under deadline pressure.
- Affinity for working collaboratively and positively with colleagues across Legal, Finance, and other functions someone who is a pleasure to work with.
- Gravitas to drive relentlessly to an optimized result, not being willing to settle for industry standard
- Resilient, affable, and light-hearted to overcome onslaught of challenges and nay-sayers
- #WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an expansive future for all.
- We adopt digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think were old (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but were also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do you cant put us in a box!
- But Digital Transformation is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
- Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
- So, you have colorful hair? Dont care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? Thats cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
- We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.