Location: Oakland, CA
In 2009, thredUP set out to make used clothes the new normal and create a more sustainable future for fashion. The company designed a modern resale experience that took the work and risk out of thrift, and converted a generation of secondhand skeptics to fans. Sellers send clothes directly to thredUP by the bagful, and buyers shop quality-checked items from over 35,000 brands at steep discounts. To power this marketplace, thredUP built an infrastructure that has recirculated 100 million unique garments via proprietary technology, data and logistics. thredUP most recently expanded its platform with Resale-as-a-Service (RaaS) to power resale for the worlds leading fashion brands. As a circular fashion pioneer, thredUP is reducing fashions impact on the planet and unlocking economic value for consumers and brands alike.
About the Role
thredUP is actively seeking a sharp, kind, and motivated attorney to serve as thredUPs Director of Legal, Corporate Securities as we continue to grow. As Director of Legal for Corporate Securities youll report to thredUPs General Counsel, and own the primary responsibility for the companys compliance with securities laws and corporate governance.
Additionally, you will have an opportunity to expand your skill set and counsel our business teams on a variety of issues that arise when youre part of a small legal team at a growing, innovative company. Other responsibilities may include (but not limited to) negotiating strategic commercial contracts, advising on new growth initiatives and playing a significant role in evolving the legal function at thredUP.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment where your work will have a direct impact on our employees and business growth.
What Youll Do
- Be part of a small in-house legal team that is directly involved in the companys strategic decisions and operations
- Manage, work with, and learn from outside counsel
- Advise on investor relations matters, including review of earnings announcements, press releases, investor presentations, investor communications and other materials (including preparation of appropriate securities disclosure as necessary)
- Lead capital markets and other strategic transactions, including providing support for M&A and corporate financing transactions
- Lead the preparation and review of SEC filings, including registration statements, Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K, proxy statements (including shareholder proposals and proxy solicitations) and Section 16 reporting, including Forms 3, 4 and 5
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures to ensure compliance with SEC and other securities-related regulatory requirements applicable to publicly-traded companies, including the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Dodd-Frank Act and stock exchange listing standards, Regulation FD and insider trading
- Advise on corporate governance, executive compensation and various other related matters, as well as developing and adopting applicable corporate governance policies and procedures
- Stay abreast of new and proposed securities law and corporate governance developments, best practices and trends to ensure continued compliance
- Assist in all corporate secretarial function matters, including preparation of notices, agendas and materials for board of directors and committee meetings, including board minutes, resolutions and actions, and leading preparation for annual meeting of shareholders
- Develop and deliver employee trainings on securities law and related matters, such as Regulation FD and insider trading
- Assist in evolving the companys risk management program and oversee the companys insurance portfolio
- Assist with commercial contracts
- Perform other special assignments or projects as needed
What Were Looking For
- J.D. from a top law school and 7 – 10 years of relevant experience, including at least four years at a leading law firm as a securities and/or capital markets attorney and significant time spent in-house at a public company
- Ability to bring a practical, business lens to difficult regulatory compliance questions
- Broad and deep expertise in corporate and U.S. securities laws, corporate governance and board governance matters, including best practices
- Strong experience with coordination and timely and continuous filing of disclosure documentation with the SEC and stock exchanges
- Familiarity with public company accounting, tax and finance processes, terminology, systems and issues, including a basic knowledge of financial statements and GAAP accounting preferred
- Active and in good standing with the California State bar preferred
What We Offer:
– The opportunity to make a massive impact & influence outcomes for our business and customers alongside passionate coworkers
– Autonomy. The ability to make, own, and carry out decisions
– Competitive salary, equity and full benefits (health/dental/vision insurance & 401k)
– Flexible PTO
At thredUP, our mission has been built on extending the lives of millions of unique clothing items. Much like our inventory, we believe diversity is key. As a diverse and inclusive workplace, we are committed to ensuring our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work every day. A unique perspective is critical to solving complex problems and inspiring a new generation to think secondhand first. Everyone is welcome – be you. We are proud to say thredUP is an equal opportunity employer.
*Please note that our thredUP team is currently working remotely, however, this role will be expected to report to our Oakland location once we are safely able to return to the office.