Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an international biopharmaceutical company focused on improving patients lives by identifying, developing and commercializing meaningful products that address unmet medical needs. We are continuing to expand our commercial product portfolio and our research and development pipeline in therapeutic areas that can leverage our unique expertise.
Our therapeutic areas of focus include sleep and hematology/oncology areas in which we have a deep understanding of the patient journey and a suite of products and product candidates to address critical needs.
We are looking for the best and brightest talent to join our team. If youre looking to be a part of a company with an unwavering commitment to improving patients lives and being a great place to work, we hope youll explore our career openings and get to know Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
The Corporate Counsel, US Market Access reports to the VP, Associate General Counsel, Commercialization and Franchise Strategy, and is a key member of the team for the Legal department. The position provides legal advice and support to the commercial market access function, which is responsible for government pricing and reimbursement, commercial payer interactions, pharmacy services, product pricing, government price reporting, and trade and distribution. The position supports the contract needs of the market access function, including commercial payer, GPO, government and distribution contracts. The Associate Corporate Counsel, US Market access provides legal advice and counseling in the areas of U.S. healthcare law, including FDA regulations and anti-kickback, government price reporting, fraud and abuse, anti-bribery and product liability matters. The position requires close collaboration with internal commercial business partners, other attorneys in the Legal Department and relevant stakeholders across the business.
- Work closely with market access and other commercial teams to support commercial strategies for the sale of Jazz Pharmaceuticals products.
- Advise on potential legal issues related to customer contracting and pricing, including FD&CA, anti-kickback and price reporting
- Proactively identify potential legal risks; formulate and communicate compliant and practical solutions that meet corporate and marketing strategic objectives and priorities.
- Advise stakeholders on the interpretation of applicable laws and regulations in a manner that provides practical legal advice while properly managing risk to the organization.
- Understand business priorities, fiscal impacts and implications. Balance legal risks with the need to meet business priorities. Partner with leaders across the business to identify creative strategies to keep within budget goals and expectations.
- Conduct thorough and reasoned analysis of complex legal issues, and develop creative and effective solutions using in-depth knowledge of the company, relevant laws and regulations, the external environment, and industry best practices.
- Provide advice to the business on state regulation and price reporting.
- Provide advice on patient assistance programs and compliance with law and regulation.
- Serve as a legal representative on promotional materials review committee and provide legal review of training materials and corporate communications related to market access topics. Participate as the legal representative on other corporate, commercial and medical affairs committees on an as-needed basis.
- Create and deliver training and other presentations to both business partners and other team members on legal topics and other relevant subjects.
- Drive increased efficiency, coordination, and effectiveness of legal advice, processes and support to meet the needs of the market access function and other key stakeholders.
- Serve as part of matrixed teams involved in market access activities and collaborate effectively, find common ground, and build alignment with relevant stakeholders.
- Partner with Legal department colleagues in executing and enhancing corporate and department objectives.
- Supervise outside counsel as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and regulatory enforcement environment, including familiarity with the regulations and regulatory guidance by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Experience working in a matrixed environment, managing multiple commitments while prioritizing conflicting demands, maintaining focus on corporate objectives and providing quality customer service.
- Demonstrated ability to independently identify, analyze and render legal advice on complex business issues.
- Excellent critical thinking skills; an ability to work through complex issues, including those with significant strategic risk to the company.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, with a record of establishing professional credibility and developing strong working relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Required/Preferred Education and Licenses
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree and admission to the Bar of at least one state and eligible to practice as in-house counsel in California or Pennsylvania
- 7+ years experience with a life sciences company and/or a reputable, highly rated law firm, or a combination of both, with experience related to the pharmaceutical or life-sciences companies.
Description of Physical Demands
- Occasional mobility within office environment.
- Routinely sitting for extended periods of time.
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone and other similar office machinery.
Description of Work Environment
- Work indoors in normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, fumes, vibrations and temperature changes.
- Frequent computer use at workstation.
- May move from one work location to another occasionally.
- Responsibilities may require a work schedule that may include working outside of normal work hours, in order to meet business demands.
- Occasional public contact requiring appropriate business apparel.
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.