Sealed Air is in business to protect, to solve critical packaging challenges and to leave our world better than we found it. Our portfolio of leading packaging solutions includes CRYOVAC brand food packaging, SEALED AIR brand protective packaging and BUBBLE WRAP brand packaging, which collectively enable a safer, more efficient food supply chain and protect valuable goods shipped around the world. Sealed Air generated $4.8 billion in sales in 2019 and has approximately 16,500 employees who serve customers in 124 countries. To learn more, visit www.sealedair.com.
Reporting to the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary (the GC), the Assistant General Counsel, Litigation, Compliance & Employment will be responsible for managing the Companys litigation, disputes and claims, ethics and compliance, regulatory and labor and employment legal matters. The successful candidate will lead a small legal team to deliver top-quality, strategic and cost-effective legal advice and solutions, minimize legal risks, proactively support the Companys business units, drive continuous improvement of the Companys legal, compliance and business processes and develop effective mitigation strategies in the best interests of the Company.
Our litigation docket typically includes commercial, general liability, employment and intellectual property litigation. Given the broad nature of this role, the successful candidate should have a track record of litigation success, strong collaboration and communication skills, a strong intellect and strategic mindset, and the ability to work closely with senior management, business units and corporate functions within our organization. As a leader in the global legal department, this position partners closely with other subject matters experts in the legal department to provide legal support for a wide range of legal and regulatory matters and is expected to have the ability to hit the ground running, focus on critical priorities and issues, assist in establishing key legal and strategic priorities and solutions, and earn the confidence and trust of the GC, the legal team and business leaders throughout the Company.
- Managing the Companys global litigation, claims, disputes, regulatory and government, agency, administrative or internal investigative matters and risk assessments, and working strategically with outside counsel, internal legal teams and the business to minimize litigation and legal risks while maximizing positive outcomes, with a particular focus on product liability, commercial, general liability, employment, intellectual property and other company litigation.
- Managing the Companys ethics and compliance programs and initiatives and its compliance administered policies, processes, and procedures, including enhancing and driving continuous improvement of applicable internal controls, practices and training.
- Managing the Companys labor and employment legal team and its provision of practical and strategic advice and guidance relating to the labor and employment related issues
- Conduct and manage litigation, ethics and compliance and labor and employment related due diligence in connection with potential strategic transactions.
- Working closely with finance, corporate communications and investor relations teams to advise on applicable disclosures, communications and company practices.
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders at all levels to effectively minimize legal and reputational risks, develop appropriate mitigation strategies and support and assist in the achievement of the Companys business and strategic objectives.
- Managing the Companys legal matter management and legal billing systems while driving continuous improvement of its legal and litigation processes and protocols, including e-discovery, law firm and billing analytics and related tools or systems.
- Provide strategic guidance and support on special projects to the GC and executive and business leaders.
- Admission in good standing to a state bar of any jurisdiction in the U.S. and actively licensed to practice law accordingly.
- 12+ years of litigation, compliance and legal experience, ideally gained through a combination of large law firm and in-house roles.
- Prior experience in the chemicals, manufacturing or diversified industrial markets in a large global company.
- Prior leadership experience managing a small team of legal professionals.
- Prior experience serving as a trusted advisor to executive leadership teams and senior business leaders, with a proven ability to guide them through sophisticated litigation, compliance, legal, business and other matters.
- Prior experience managing a broad range of litigation matters including commercial, product liability, employment, and intellectual property.
- Prior experience conducting ethics, compliance, workforce or other sensitive internal investigations and managing any government, agency, administrative, regulatory or applicable inquiries or investigations.
- Demonstrated business acumen, strong analytical skills, and the ability to grasp important business, legal, and financial issues facing the Company.
- Outstanding interpersonal and leadership skills, with the ability to build strong relationships across functions and to communicate effectively with senior business leaders, as well as other professionals and colleagues at all levels of an organization.
- Highly creative and strategic mindset and approach to litigation,; anticipating future business, competitive, and legal risks and looking for creative solutions and opportunities.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to quickly assess business challenges, make timely, pragmatic recommendations under pressure, and identify, prioritize, and resolve issues quickly and independently.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, innovative, and highly-matrixed corporate organization.
- BS/BA from an accredited college/university
- Juris Doctorate from a national accredited law school.
Requisition id: 32341
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.