What You’ll Do Will provide hands-on legal support and counsel to and work with business leaders, managers, and colleagues on legal issues impacting UMB and its subsidiaries. Responsibilities include: research and advise on legal issues; evaluate, educate clients regarding, and help to minimize risk; review, negotiate and draft agreements; participate in projects and process improvements; prepare and distribute regular status reports; summarize trends and issues; resolve customer matters; as well as support in alternative decision-making situations, for a broad range of internal clients.
It is critical that legal counsel develop in-depth substantive knowledge of his/her respective practice area, and the operating relationships that business units have with significant business clients. Collaborate with different lines of businesses and corporate support functions to ensure that operations and strategies are managed in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and the highest standards of ethics and integrity. Will and must be a trusted advisor to senior leaders and will be the primary consultant with clients on legal issues. Monitors and analyzes evolving legal requirements and proposed regulations/legislation in assigned practice areas and advises senior management of potential risks associated with new developments. Manages outside counsel and acts as a liaison between senior leaders and outside counsel.
Primarily works independently with minimal supervision by Deputy General Counsel.
Other duties as assigned. Additional Information Will work closely with and advise UMB’s Institutional Banking Division. Prefer applicants that have familiarity with consumer banking laws and emerging laws impacting payment systems and fintech companies. Also prefer individuals with institutional banking experience. Work Schedule Monday-Friday: 8:00am-5:00pm Preferred Requirements – 6+ years of commercial, legal experience
– Experience working with a law firm or as in-house counsel with a financial institution In this Role, You will Need – Demonstrates exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
– Strong working knowledge of legal issues in assigned areas
– Strong skills in relationship building, critical thinking, strategic vision, and ability to mitigate risk in decision making
– Strong leadership and teaming capabilities and the ability to operate independently and collaboratively Who You Are – JD and licensed to practice law
– 4 years of commercial, legal experience