As a National Bank Examiner/Bank Examiner (BSA/AML Compliance Policy Specialist), you will plan and direct activities associated with identifying risks and developing/providing guidance on policy issues affecting the compliance process that relates to Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering (BSA/AML) programs and issues in the Compliance Risk Policy Division of Bank Supervision Policy.
Learn more about this agency
As a National Bank Examiner/Bank Examiner (Consumer Compliance Policy Specialist), you will:
- Act as a technical expert and specialist on whom OCC field examiners, senior management, bankers, trade associations, external partners, and consumer and community groups rely for addressing complex BSA/AML compliance issues.
- Review and understand supervisory activities and findings regarding BSA/ AML compliance examinations and identification of policy issues related to BSA/AML compliance. Consider related laws, regulations and policy considerations and collaborates/coordinates with other OCC departments to ensure consistency in interpretations and issuances, and to address current and emerging risks facing banks and the federal and international banking systems.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other regulatory agencies and international organizations on initiatives related to strengthening the ability of U.S. financial Institutions to detect and prevent Illicit money transfer activities.
- Initiate OCC issuances and advisories for BSA/AML issues. Respond to requests from the Department of the Treasury, U.S. Congress, GAO and other government agencies, bankers, trade associations, and consumer and community groups requesting information on highly technical or complex BSA/AML compliance issues. Represent OCC as a BSA/AML compliance policy specialist at banker and interagency meetings, trade associations and third party consumer and community group conferences as appropriate. Identify emerging issues and facilitates development of agency positions in order to effectively represent the agency on these occasions.
- Provide comments on legislative proposals and proposed rulemakings, prepares Congressional testimony, and participates in briefings for testifying officials at OCC as they relate to BSA/ AML compliance programs governing bank supervision and the financial industry.
25% or less – Occasional travel is required.
Conditions of Employment
- Complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Complete a background investigation (unless already completed).
- Sign a statement that you are voluntarily leaving the competitive service for a position in the excepted service, if applicable.
- Travel overnight or locally when necessary.
- Obtain and use a Government-issued charge card for business-related
- File an OCC Financial Disclosure Form.
- Complete a financial disclosure review and resolve any ethics issues.
- Click here for important information about OCC ethics standards, such as the requirement that new hires divest their bank securities.
You must meet the following requirements within 30 calendar days after the closing date of this announcement:
You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the NB-V band level. Examples of specialized experience for this position include:
- Experience developing new or revising existing Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering policies or procedures for a financial regulator or financial institution; and
- Experience performing examinations, audits, or reviews of banks' Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering compliance programs.
The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector, or through volunteer service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Education cannot be used to qualify for this position.
- This is a nontraditional position subject to the Alternative Location Arrangements PPM 3110-53. It may be filled in an alternate location provided the location is cost effective, operationally efficient, and complies with the standards contained in PPM 3110-53.
- Salary range 22.26% geographical pay.
- If you are a current OCC employee who previously received a waiver determination permitting you to retain bank securities due to extenuating circumstances, please note that this determination may be rescinded if the nature of your duties changes. We strongly suggest that you discuss the potential implications of any change in duties on a prior securities determination with your ethics official.
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more positions.
- Your required security clearance is Public Trust – Background Investigation
- This is an Excepted Service position under Schedule B, 213.3205(a)
- A writing sample will be required from any applicant that is selected for an interview.
- Click all links in this vacancy announcement to view additional information and instructions.
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print" to review the entire announcement before applying.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "not qualified" determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Bank Supervision
- Policy Research & Analysis
- Judgment & Decision Making
- Advisement Collaboration, Outreach
- Risk Analysis
- Written Communication
- Interpersonal Skills
Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application. Current OCC employees must have a performance rating of at least Level 3 overall and for all critical performance elements to be eligible for promotion.
Referral : If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview and prepare and submit a writing sample.
To preview questions please click here .
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete application includes: 1) A resume, 2) vacancy question responses, and 3) submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
RESUME: All applicants are required to submit a resume by either creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional.) To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please review Resume Tips .
OPTIONAL DOCUMENTS : In addition, you may submit the following:
– Cover letter
– Recent performance evaluation (be sure to redact/remove all sensitive information prior to submitting)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.